Law School Discussion

The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread

TwinkyBean

• It's Yellow.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TwinkyBean
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #2090 on: June 18, 2007, 08:54:20 PM »
A 3.2 UGPA, and a 151-156?.. Do I have a chance of getting into a T1?

try to get it as close to that 156 (or higher) as possible and i'd say yes...let some of the old heads confirm tho  ;)

I'm probably going to retake anyway.. Just not too confident as of right now! So hopefully, if you're right, I can get it high enough to make up the difference of my GPA and get into a decent school! :)

« Reply #2091 on: June 18, 2007, 08:58:47 PM »

try to get it as close to that 156 (or higher) as possible and i'd say yes...let some of the old heads confirm tho  ;)

I'm probably going to retake anyway.. Just not too confident as of right now! So hopefully, if you're right, I can get it high enough to make up the difference of my GPA and get into a decent school! :)

hmm...is that you in your picture?  to tell you the truth, things are diff when giving odds for URMs and nonURMs....to get into a tier one, you'd def need to break into the 160s, there's no ifs about it.

TwinkyBean

• It's Yellow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: June 18, 2007, 09:07:19 PM »

hmm...is that you in your picture?  to tell you the truth, things are diff when giving odds for URMs and nonURMs....to get into a tier one, you'd def need to break into the 160s, there's no ifs about it.

I guess I'm gonna have plenty of prepping to do for the Sept LSAT!...
Yeah, its me.. haha..

« Reply #2093 on: June 20, 2007, 06:20:58 AM »

Yeah, its me.. haha..

Will you marry me?

TwinkyBean

• It's Yellow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: June 20, 2007, 06:50:02 AM »

Yeah, its me.. haha..

Will you marry me?

Haha.. ya never know!

GoldenAfro

• Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: June 22, 2007, 01:50:52 PM »
Has anyone considered using a consulting service? Anna Ivey charges $500 to read over your materials, discuss essay topics, potential recommendors, etc. But to use her services for the nitty gritty of the application process, the fee is something in the neighborhood of 2500 for her associates and 4500 for her. While I refuse to pay thousands for an admissions counselor, 500 is something that I could budget. Is it worth seeking Anna's help? I included a breakdown of the service you get for the 500:

During Stage 1, I review: •Your brainstorming questionnaire (a copy is attached)•Your résumé •Your transcripts •Your LSAT score reports (if you have already taken the LSAT) and •Your LSAC Academic Summary Report (if your transcripts have already been processed by LSAC)

After I review your materials, we book a phone conversation or in-person meeting (up to one hour) in which we: •Discuss whether a law degree and a legal career are the best choice for you •Put together an appropriate list of schools based on your educational and career goals and your admissions chances •Discuss when to apply and, if you decide not to apply right away, help you maximize your opportunities and developan action plan to improve your profile in the interim •Identify your strengths and weaknesses as an applicant and formulate a strategy to best show off those assets and neutralize those weaknesses •Determine the best timing and preparation strategy for standardized tests •Discuss essay topics for you to consider •Choose the most appropriate recommenders

I think you'd be better off buying her book and using that $500 for more LSAT prep.  Based on what you have posted, I think that you can get all that information from reading her book.  But I suppose the best person to answer would be someone who has used her consulting service.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: June 22, 2007, 02:05:24 PM »
Has anyone considered using a consulting service? Anna Ivey charges $500 to read over your materials, discuss essay topics, potential recommendors, etc. But to use her services for the nitty gritty of the application process, the fee is something in the neighborhood of 2500 for her associates and 4500 for her. While I refuse to pay thousands for an admissions counselor, 500 is something that I could budget. Is it worth seeking Anna's help? I included a breakdown of the service you get for the 500:

During Stage 1, I review: •Your brainstorming questionnaire (a copy is attached)•Your résumé •Your transcripts •Your LSAT score reports (if you have already taken the LSAT) and •Your LSAC Academic Summary Report (if your transcripts have already been processed by LSAC)

After I review your materials, we book a phone conversation or in-person meeting (up to one hour) in which we: •Discuss whether a law degree and a legal career are the best choice for you •Put together an appropriate list of schools based on your educational and career goals and your admissions chances •Discuss when to apply and, if you decide not to apply right away, help you maximize your opportunities and developan action plan to improve your profile in the interim •Identify your strengths and weaknesses as an applicant and formulate a strategy to best show off those assets and neutralize those weaknesses •Determine the best timing and preparation strategy for standardized tests •Discuss essay topics for you to consider •Choose the most appropriate recommenders

I think you'd be better off buying her book and using that $500 for more LSAT prep.  Based on what you have posted, I think that you can get all that information from reading her book.  But I suppose the best person to answer would be someone who has used her consulting service.

Titcr.  You can get most of that from books (ivey and montauk), blsd and lsd.  If you want to use a consultant, I recommend Admissions Consultants. All of their consultants worked on Admissions Committees at top schools.  I did a 1 hour consulation ($150) with the former Admissions Dean at Penn in order to get advice on my resume and statements.  Imo, it was definitely worth it.  They also have packages if you're interested in more help.

Lemme know if you have any questions.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: June 22, 2007, 02:05:53 PM »
I will do the same thing Anna Ivey does for $300 (the negro pan-African special).  Send me a pm if you are interested.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: June 22, 2007, 03:53:46 PM »
I will do the same thing Anna Ivey does for $300 (the negro special).  Send me a pm if you are interested.

I thought negroes usually paid more, not less!  lol :D

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: June 22, 2007, 03:57:26 PM »
I will do the same thing Anna Ivey does for $300 (the negro special).  Send me a pm if you are interested.

I thought negroes usually paid more, not less!  lol :D

true. edited.