Law School Discussion

The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #2080 on: June 14, 2007, 06:16:17 AM »
If you haven't yet read a book on personal statements, and you have some confidence in your writing skills, I'd say don't read one.  Or at least don't read one until after you've written a couple roughs or at the very least jotted down some ideas or something.  IMO, your style of PS will necessarily be informed by the book, just like the 23742464332 other people who've read said book, and you might stifle, in some small way, your particular creative voice.

Of course, if you don't have any deep confidence in your writing for whatever reason, read away right away.

I dunno, for me it was important to see a bunch of different PSs because I had literally no idea what a PS was, rather than lack of confidence.  I think it was helpful to read more, rather than less, because it allowed me to see the diversity of PSs and I was able to develop my own voice rather than assume that a PS should be one specific thing.  I still don't think my PS was that unique, but it was infinitely better than the statement of purpose or pure story PSs that I had considered.

« Reply #2081 on: June 14, 2007, 06:23:25 AM »
If you haven't yet read a book on personal statements, and you have some confidence in your writing skills, I'd say don't read one.  Or at least don't read one until after you've written a couple roughs or at the very least jotted down some ideas or something.  IMO, your style of PS will necessarily be informed by the book, just like the 23742464332 other people who've read said book, and you might stifle, in some small way, your particular creative voice.

Of course, if you don't have any deep confidence in your writing for whatever reason, read away right away.

i pretty much agree with this...though i will say that since i had the ivey and montauk books already, i skimmed through the sample PSs.

there was this whole thread on the off topic board with a bunch of the personal statements ppl used from this cycle if you can find it--but a lot of ppl (including myself) did go back and redact them.

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: June 14, 2007, 06:51:14 AM »

I dunno, for me it was important to see a bunch of different PSs because I had literally no idea what a PS was, rather than lack of confidence.  I think it was helpful to read more, rather than less, because it allowed me to see the diversity of PSs and I was able to develop my own voice rather than assume that a PS should be one specific thing.  I still don't think my PS was that unique, but it was infinitely better than the statement of purpose or pure story PSs that I had considered.

There's a difference, as MCB pointed out, between reading a number of personal statements and reading a book on personal statements.  By all means I think folks should read as many good PS as they can get their hands on, but I'm saying not to read a book on how to write (or not write) a PS.

I getcha.  I'm a little slow!  The Ivey book is prolly more helpful in that regard, because it tells you more of what NOT to write (ie major cliches to avoid) than what to write.  Montauk includes a bunch of PS 'prototypes', which can allude you into thinking that your PS has to fit into those essay formats.  I would prolly read Ivey before or while writing a PS and read some of Montauk, but not the types of PSs section until after you have a draft or at least some ideas written down.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: June 14, 2007, 10:18:17 AM »
I took the June administration of the LSAT this past week and I was curious as to what score you all feel I would need to put myself into serious consideration for a T14 school. My LSDAS GPA is a 3.07 with a trend of 2.46 freshman, 3.06 soph, and 3.52 Junior. I attend an Ivy, if that matters, and have strong soft factors as far as leadership and work experience, IMO. In addition, does it help me at all that I have worked for Cravath?

errr...mid-high 160s I would guess with that GPA. It does not help (at least substantially) that you worked for cravath. 

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: June 14, 2007, 10:30:39 AM »
I took the June administration of the LSAT this past week and I was curious as to what score you all feel I would need to put myself into serious consideration for a T14 school. My LSDAS GPA is a 3.07 with a trend of 2.46 freshman, 3.06 soph, and 3.52 Junior. I attend an Ivy, if that matters, and have strong soft factors as far as leadership and work experience, IMO. In addition, does it help me at all that I have worked for Cravath?

Talk to us when you have a score!  :P You've already taken it so that won't change, and if necessary you have plenty of time to study for a retake.  We can best advise you on what schools to target or whether or not to consider retaking when you have an actual score.

« Reply #2085 on: June 14, 2007, 07:22:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I know what I want to write about, so when I'm done, I'll post it.  I would really appreciate everyone's opinion.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: June 18, 2007, 02:11:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I know what I want to write about, so when I'm done, I'll post it.  I would really appreciate everyone's opinion.

Whoa-  hold up, sweetie.  Don't post it.  PM it.   

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: June 18, 2007, 06:55:02 PM »

Whoa-  hold up, sweetie.  Don't post it.  PM it.   

Exactly!  Besides, you don't need everyone on this webboard in your business.

TwinkyBean

• It's Yellow.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TwinkyBean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: June 18, 2007, 07:20:47 PM »
A 3.2 UGPA, and a 151-156?.. Do I have a chance of getting into a T1?

« Reply #2089 on: June 18, 2007, 07:24:13 PM »
A 3.2 UGPA, and a 151-156?.. Do I have a chance of getting into a T1?

try to get it as close to that 156 (or higher) as possible and i'd say yes...let some of the old heads confirm tho  ;)