Law School Discussion

The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #2060 on: June 06, 2007, 08:21:29 AM »
Ok, so I guess I'm just going to lay out there:

I graduated from a top private school, of the liberal arts persuasion. Double majored in International Relations and Art History, the IR major at my school is incredibly difficult, in terms of the classes required. I did ROTC my freshman year but was "encouraged" to drop out due to my political beliefs, my first semester UGPA suffered from the rigor of ROTC. I graduated with a 3.33, but within my majors I had a 3.5 and 3.8...classes like computer science brought my GPA down. On the LSATS I'm taking I'm getting over 165 and have even cracked the 170s. What are my chances of getting in to a T-14...also I'm a URM.

I know this is retarded but any words of advice as far as what my ideal LSAT score should be and what schools I should consider over others, would be greatly appreciated!!! Also, would writing an addendum, help or hurt my chances?! Thanks ya'll!

Above 170, you're good at all the t-14 except maybe HYS.  Even at 165, you'll definitely be in at multiple T-14s.

Ideal LSAT should be the highest possible!  That said, above 165 is prolly best.

We'd need more info to advise on what schools to consider.  Do you like bigger or smaller schools? Big city or college town? What do you want to practice? Where do you want to practice?  How much work experience do you have and in what field? Etc...

You might consider writing an addendum about ROTC.  Focus on the positives (ie. time management skills, etc) instead of whining about how it took up so much time.  At the very least, you should include your major GPAs on your resume.

« Reply #2061 on: June 06, 2007, 08:31:51 AM »
Well I'm working at a V100 firm in NYC and enjoy the team I work on, mostly Art Law. I would like to practice in a big city, but don't need to attend school in a big city. I guess I'm just wondering what schools view higher LSAT over GPA or who will look at the difficulty of courses over general requirements that brought down the GPA? Any advice would be much appreciated! Guess just want to be sure its not a pipe dream!

The whole bummer about the ROTC thing is that I did drop out, is that bad on my part, I don't know? I guess I could focus an addendum, using lessons learned, etc from all that drama!

p.s. congrats on your cycle, go blue!

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: June 06, 2007, 08:34:39 AM »
Well I'm working at a V100 firm in NYC and enjoy the team I work on, mostly Art Law. I would like to practice in a big city, but don't need to attend school in a big city. I guess I'm just wondering what schools view higher LSAT over GPA or who will look at the difficulty of courses over general requirements that brought down the GPA? Any advice would be much appreciated! Guess just want to be sure its not a pipe dream!

The whole bummer about the ROTC thing is that I did drop out, is that bad on my part, I don't know? I guess I could focus an addendum, using lessons learned, etc from all that drama!

p.s. congrats on your cycle, go blue!

Thanks!  Supposedly Michigan and NU are very splitter friendly.  But LSAT is king.  As you can see from my cycle, a good LSAT can definitely overcome a not-as-good GPA.  If money is a big concern (it was for me), Michigan and NYU (or at least their specific scholarship programs) seem to be the least numbers focused when giving scholarships.

« Reply #2063 on: June 12, 2007, 08:49:43 AM »
uGPA: 3.45
LSAT (projected) 170...although I'm scoring around 170 on practice tests right now and I have a year to study until I take the real test so this could be higher.

What do you guys think?

With that GPA, what LSAT should I shoot for to get into Harvard (a stretch, I know)?

What about NYU and Columbia specifically (although I'd like to know my chances for any Top 10)?

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: June 12, 2007, 08:54:43 AM »
3.45 and a 170 and you have a shot at Harvard if you A) apply early and B) have a decent college record of leadership, public service, or other activity OR work experience post-college.

Yale is a toss-up though a 170+, I'd imagine, might give you a shot. 

3.45 and a 170 with work experience gives you a really good shot at the rest of the T10.  No work experience makes Northwestern tough absent 170+, I'd think.  Penn and Columbia are tough to read, in my opinion.  U.Va and Michigan would love you.  NYU too, perhaps.

Just score as high as possible and get your applications out as early as humanly possible.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: June 12, 2007, 08:59:55 AM »
Yale is a toss-up though a 170+, I'd imagine, might give you a shot. 

3.45 puts him at a good deal less than a toss up.

« Reply #2066 on: June 12, 2007, 09:02:44 AM »
I don't plan to work before law school. I grad in Spring 2009 and want to begin law school in Fall 2009.

I do have work experience during school however, and I plan to do a bit of resume padding these next 2 semesters (with regard to leadership and such).

Early decision is binding, correct?

If so, my approaching dilemma - if things go according to plan - is whether to send an early decision application to Harvard, which is probably a 50-50 with an early decision app, or send an early decision app to a lower ranked but more realistic school like NYU or Columbia that I may not get into with a regular decision app.

(Yale isn't even a consideration; by all appearances they seem to weigh high GPAs and high LSATs equally, and want both)

Any other "what are my chances" opinions?

Thanks!

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: June 12, 2007, 09:05:56 AM »
Harvard doesn't do ED.  He means your chances are increased by sending in your app earlier.  The highest school that does ED is Columbia.

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: June 12, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
I don't plan to work before law school. I grad in Spring 2009 and want to begin law school in Fall 2009.

I do have work experience during school however, and I plan to do a bit of resume padding these next 2 semesters (with regard to leadership and such).

Early decision is binding, correct?

If so, my approaching dilemma - if things go according to plan - is whether to send an early decision application to Harvard, which is probably a 50-50 with an early decision app, or send an early decision app to a lower ranked but more realistic school like NYU or Columbia that I may not get into with a regular decision app.

(Yale isn't even a consideration; by all appearances they seem to weigh high GPAs and high LSATs equally, and want both)

Any other "what are my chances" opinions?

Thanks!

DON'T DO EARLY DECISION!  A 17+ lsat will open all sorts of doors for you.  I had a slightly lower GPA and got into all of the schools you're considering except Yale.  NYU gave me a pretty good scholarship too.  Unless you're independently wealthy, money is always a consideration.  By applying ED, you effectively cut your bargaining power down to nothing.  Get that 170+ LSAT and you'll have a very good chance at NYU and Columbia without having to go ED.

« Reply #2069 on: June 12, 2007, 09:10:25 AM »
Harvard doesn't do ED.  He means your chances are increased by sending in your app earlier.  The highest school that does ED is Columbia.

Duh, I knew that. Silly me. Was just reading their website earlier too.

DON'T DO EARLY DECISION!  A 17+ lsat will open all sorts of doors for you.  I had a slightly lower GPA and got into all of the schools you're considering except Yale.  NYU gave me a pretty good scholarship too.  Unless you're independently wealthy, money is always a consideration.  By applying ED, you effectively cut your bargaining power down to nothing.  Get that 170+ LSAT and you'll have a very good chance at NYU and Columbia without having to go ED.

You got into Harvard as well?