Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 431159 times)

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what kind of lsat do i need to be competitive?
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2005, 01:03:50 PM »
Yikes!  I hope you didn't pay her for this gem of advice.  Anyway, I totally disagree with this.  I would say prep as you originally intended to.  The LSAT is a very learnable test and you could end up with a powerhouse score.  Also, no matter if you have one piece of your app that you think might be strong - don't let any other part of your app be weak.  I mean, aim for everything to be strong (lsat, gpa, lors, resume, essays) and I think you will be in good shape.  I also think that being an Afr. Am. will help your app because that is a sought after URM (whether a school will admit it or not), but again you shouldn't rely on any one thing because addcomms are unpredictable.  I would apply to all the big schools you are interested in, but don't overlook other schools that might work too because you never know who is going to offer you the best aid or give you the best gut feeling when you go and visit.  Hope that helps.

I agree.

acceptme

3.32, 158. Can I get into T14?
« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2005, 12:27:57 AM »
Can someone please advise me on whether or not I have a chance at a T14 with my scores? I'm a black male from UC Davis. I spent a year abroad and co-founded a successful multinational corporation, but I don't know if this will make up for my low scores. I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: 3.32, 158. Can I get into T14?
« Reply #182 on: October 11, 2005, 10:01:11 AM »
what is your grade trend?  study abroad unless it was somewhere spectacularly unique will not help you; also just how successful is the corporation? you have an uphill battle but you can improve your chances significantly with excellent personal statements, good LORs.  I would  look to Northwestern, Duke,  and Cornell..

chrisfield

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 11, 2005, 10:10:29 AM »
Not impossible.  But an uphill battle for sure.  Even with a 10 point addition for AA you are looking at a 168.  Not bad, but still not making you a "gimme" anywhere.  Work hard on your soft factors especially the corporation you founded.

lsdaccount

« Reply #184 on: October 11, 2005, 10:47:10 AM »
You probably have a better shot than you'd think.  If you have a strong application, get it in early and really do a good job putting it together in the most flattering way, you probably have a real shot at T14.

faith2005

« Reply #185 on: October 11, 2005, 12:02:12 PM »
good luck to you! I say aim high while still putting in apps to safties. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised!  :)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2005, 07:04:39 PM »
word on the street is apply to Harvard. You'll get in. 
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2005, 07:59:03 PM »
Can someone please advise me on whether or not I have a chance at a T14 with my scores? I'm a black male from UC Davis. I spent a year abroad and co-founded a successful multinational corporation, but I don't know if this will make up for my low scores. I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks

Yes, if you have an interesting background (which you appear to have) you are not out of the running for T14's with your numbers.  My GPA was somewhat higher and my LSAT a point lower and I managed to get into Boalt with a fairly unaccomplished background.  You ought to get in there and at least a couple other T14's.  Jusy make sure you have a compelling and interesting PS.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2005, 08:08:58 PM »
word on the street is apply to Harvard. You'll get in. 

Sands you are on crack and apparently so is everyone on the street where you live.

John Galt

« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2005, 10:25:43 AM »
Apply to schools 7-14. I know some people at Harvard with a lower LSAT than yours, but a much much higher GPA. I think you'll get into cornell if you apply, Northwestern might gamble on you, and Duke might give you a shot. Without a score of 160 or above, top 14 is pushing it.