Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 433243 times)

LegalLassie

Re: what kind of lsat do i need to be competitive?
« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2005, 09:46:39 PM »
I don't know.  Except for the fact that she is an extreme newbie, I wouldn't say 100% that it is flame.

jerrica benton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2005, 10:43:35 PM »
Was it an admissions counselor at your school or a law school admissions consultant?  (If the latter, you have to spill the beans on who said it)

even if the lady is a crackpot, i think it's kind of bad to call her out on a message board. 

that being said, i'd be happy to privately divulge the woman's name.  she was a private consultant (and no, i didn't pay her). 

jerrica benton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2005, 10:46:53 PM »
for a bunch of future lawyers, you're pretty lame if you can't see that this is clearly flaimbait. Eveyone knows black people don't dream of the "t14" and the way she's playing the race card makes it too damn obvious. good try though.

wtf is this?  "black people don't dream of the t14"??

i honestly hope u r trolling.

and btw: i don't have to play the race card.  i'm black, that's an obvious fact, and people make bad comments toward black people (!)--yet another obvious fact.

LegalLassie

« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2005, 10:50:00 PM »
Was it an admissions counselor at your school or a law school admissions consultant?  (If the latter, you have to spill the beans on who said it)

even if the lady is a crackpot, i think it's kind of bad to call her out on a message board. 

that being said, i'd be happy to privately divulge the woman's name.  she was a private consultant (and no, i didn't pay her). 

No worries. ;)  I have an idea who you mean, anyway.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2005, 11:30:13 PM »
that's funny..the majority of the members of blsd are going to T14s...

so try again you ass..

for a bunch of future lawyers, you're pretty lame if you can't see that this is clearly flaimbait. Eveyone knows black people don't dream of the "t14" and the way she's playing the race card makes it too damn obvious. good try though.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: Admissions chances?
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2005, 02:17:50 PM »
I have a 3.0,but 2.6 LSAC in Criminal Justice and Political science, 165 LSAT, 2 years works experience as a real estate agent, worked on a city councilor campaign, and worked in a legislative office.  I was wondering what are my chances at a T-14 school.  By the way Im Haitian, my parents were born there, I was born here, and a male.  Any help greatly appreciated.

how upward a trend are we talking about and when did you get the work experience?  T14 is unlikely although if you have exteme extenuating circumstances you might be able to get into Duke/Cornell.  top 25 if you can write an excellent personal statement may be a possibility.  What happened in UG?

angmill08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2005, 02:54:30 PM »
A 3.5 average last 4 semesters is good -- work hard this last year in school to raise that GPA average. I'd try to work in some easier classes this last year (in addition to upper level classes in your major, which you should work super hard on and get As) so you can get a 4.0 this year. Explain your work situation and focus on the upward GPA trend in your supplemental admissions essays, and send out lots of applications. With a 165 LSAT and a good explanatory essay, I think schools will probably be understanding about the difficulties you had in college the first year.
164/3.46 Undergrad GPA, graduated college in 1996.
Applied: UT Austin (ED), Univ. of Houston, George Washington U & American U.
Accepted: Univ. of Houston, GW, American
Attending: GW, Fall 2006

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2005, 06:04:21 PM »
The upward trend was a 3.5 average for the last four semesters.  The work experience was all gained while going to college, worked full time as well as school full time.  Needed to pay for school so worked alot of hours, at the expense of school.  Looking back I probably should have taken a break.  I cant really make many excuses, first person in family to go to a four year school, and didnt really do well at first.  I adjusted, went on a trip to Haiti realized how much potential Im wasting then busted my ass.  If I go on to get a masters will adcoms over look undergrad?

if you got a masters and did well it would definitely help although your ug record would still be considered.  if you were thinking about doing the MA at the same school as you did UG you may want to see if you could graduate with a combined BA/MA and thereby boosting your UG gpa since unfortunately or fortunately depending on your perspective that is what USNEWs reports

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2005, 04:16:28 AM »
Going to graduate school just so you can "up" your chances at law school is foolish to say the least. Dont listen to John Cusack-like posters that tell you different.

You have the work experience and you have the excellent lsat score. Just write an addendum for your GPA and give in a kick-ass personal statement. But before you do any of that, seriously mull over why you want to study law. Do you want to go law school just so you can pop up in the drop-top wearing your Touro Law sweatshirt, screaming at the honeys "Back then ya'll didn't want me, now I'm hot now ya'll all on me!!!" or do you have an insatiable burning desire; similar to herpes, to study law?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2005, 01:00:36 PM »
that's funny..the majority of the members of blsd are going to T14s...

so try again you ass..

LOL!!!!

busted!

You clearly have not been paying attention, cat daddy.  We got so many T14 kids on here it doesn't even phase us anymore for somebody to say they got into Harvard.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston