Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 429071 times)

Equalizer

Re: Admissions chances?
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2005, 08:41:46 PM »
Thank God you posted this on the BLSD and not the main board.  Who in their right mind would even ask what their chances at a T14 are when all they have is a 2.6?  Oh, I know who.

Equalizer

Re: what kind of lsat do i need to be competitive?
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2005, 08:44:18 PM »
I am not trolling or being mean.  I am just trying to comprehend why you think being a black female should put you in line for the top 5 if your numbers don't match.  Maybe you should post this on BLSD.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2005, 08:47:03 PM »
158-160 should get you into the bottom.  165-170 should get you into CCN.  A 3.1 will probably preclude you from YHS.

jerrica benton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2005, 08:52:08 PM »
and, here, i nitpick.

first off, i don't have numbers.  right now i have a number: a gpa.  i will not have "numbers" until october.  

until then, do not piss on what does not exist.

the primary reason i am asking the members of this board is that i asked a professional admissions counselor a similar question, and she told me that i should not aim any higher than my never-saw-an-lsat-wtf-is-on-it diagnostic score (which *barely* places me in the 90th percentile) because any larger split would be too "analogous."  

as that is a frightening view of how whites view blacks, i chose to get some other opinions.

LegalLassie

« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2005, 08:56:40 PM »
and, here, i nitpick.

first off, i don't have numbers.  right now i have a number: a gpa.  i will not have "numbers" until october.  

until then, do not piss on what does not exist.

the primary reason i am asking the members of this board is that i asked a professional admissions counselor a similar question, and she told me that i should not aim any higher than my never-saw-an-lsat-wtf-is-on-it diagnostic score (which *barely* places me in the 90th percentile) because any larger split would be too "analogous."  

as that is a frightening view of how whites view blacks, i chose to get some other opinions.
I am confused about what this admissions counselor told you.  Sorry if I am being slow, but did she mean that you shouldn't plan on applying to anyplace outside the range of your very first, cold diag?  I am also not clear on what that has to do with how whites view blacks.  Maybe I am missing something.

jerrica benton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2005, 09:01:41 PM »
she literally told me not to prep for the lsat.

she said that my score would get me into plenty of tier 1s and possibly some t14s, and to cancel my prep class.

now, this entire concept initially left me just as confused as u r.  i mean, it's common knowledge that law schools stress lsat scores like nobody's business, and the common advice is  to get the highest score you can. 

then, i realized that she was telling me that my diagnostic score was "good enough" and that anything too far from it would be too out of line with expectations for a black person.

LegalLassie

« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2005, 09:08:13 PM »
Yikes!  I hope you didn't pay her for this gem of advice.  Anyway, I totally disagree with this.  I would say prep as you originally intended to.  The LSAT is a very learnable test and you could end up with a powerhouse score.  Also, no matter if you have one piece of your app that you think might be strong - don't let any other part of your app be weak.  I mean, aim for everything to be strong (lsat, gpa, lors, resume, essays) and I think you will be in good shape.  I also think that being an Afr. Am. will help your app because that is a sought after URM (whether a school will admit it or not), but again you shouldn't rely on any one thing because addcomms are unpredictable.  I would apply to all the big schools you are interested in, but don't overlook other schools that might work too because you never know who is going to offer you the best aid or give you the best gut feeling when you go and visit.  Hope that helps.

squilla

• Sr. Citizen
  • UW Fall '06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2005, 09:10:17 PM »
she literally told me not to prep for the lsat.

she said that my score would get me into plenty of tier 1s and possibly some t14s, and to cancel my prep class.

now, this entire concept initially left me just as confused as u r.  i mean, it's common knowledge that law schools stress lsat scores like nobody's business, and the common advice is  to get the highest score you can. 

then, i realized that she was telling me that my diagnostic score was "good enough" and that anything too far from it would be too out of line with expectations for a black person.

Your race and gender aside, I would recommend taking official prep tests on your own until you are comfortable with the test and the types of questions that are asked.  Mainly so you don't accidentally mess up on the real deal.  A better score is always, well, better.  
Plus, going back to your race and gender, if you prep and do well enough, some upper schools may throw some money your way.  As a smart, black female, your chances are going to be great .. I think I have heard that it's like 10 extra lsat points(?), but for your own sake, do whatever is necessary.

LegalLassie

« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2005, 09:37:29 PM »
Was it an admissions counselor at your school or a law school admissions consultant?  (If the latter, you have to spill the beans on who said it)

modernlifeiswar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2005, 09:43:58 PM »
for a bunch of future lawyers, you're pretty lame if you can't see that this is clearly flaimbait. Eveyone knows black people don't dream of the "t14" and the way she's playing the race card makes it too damn obvious. good try though.