Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 431678 times)

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: gpa/lsat split
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2005, 01:37:17 PM »
Man I would sacrifice a few tenths of my GPA (3.85) for a higher LSAT without hesitation (157). I really think the schools in the upper tiers are more LSAT driven than GPA driven,
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

06hopeful

« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2005, 01:44:03 PM »
I was an Econ major--not exactly chemical engineering, but not exactly Communications, either.  No real help there. I just hope that the high LSAT/minority status will be and aide...

ocd:  you definitely don't want to be in my position.  I would kill for a 3.85.  Shoot, I'll even take a 2.85! and a 157 isn't horrible...

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2005, 01:46:36 PM »
I was a econ major too. And yes a 157 is bad enough to possibly knock me out of T14 even as a URM
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

06hopeful

« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2005, 03:47:39 PM »
Apply to U of Michigan. 

06hopeful

« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2005, 03:50:06 PM »
...and retake the LSAT and aim for >163.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2005, 03:54:21 PM »
I was a econ major too. And yes a 157 is bad enough to possibly knock me out of T14 even as a URM

Not true. Esp. if you have good ECs.

datbol_06

• View Profile
black BBA student....what are my chances?
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2005, 03:19:42 AM »
I am new to this conference and new to the idea of law school.  I intended on graduating with a BBA from Emory's Goizueta Business School and join the workforce with the intention on getting a MBA later but now I am considering attending law school.  I have approximately a 3.1-3.2 GPA and havent taken the LSATs although I have taken a practice exam and scored a 167.  I am considering UPENN, Emory,NYU, Georgetown, Temple, Howard, and HYS.  I really want to go to UPENN above all else.  I am wondering if I have a chance @ UPENN, Georgetown, HYS.  I have recs including an internship in Sierre Leone with a private firm involved with the rebuilding of the country's infrastructure, community service time with underprivileged youth in metro atlanta, involvement in the black student alliance and starting a niche oriented event planning company.  I am exploring input from those who have been there or know people in a similar situation as me.  I know my GPA is not the best but the program Im in at school is on a curve (e.g only the top 15% can get an A etc) so its really competitive and more challenging than staying in the college/liberal arts programs. 

Thanks for the input

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: black BBA student....what are my chances?
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2005, 04:14:22 PM »
You should be fine for Penn if you can pull off a 167 and write a decent "Why Penn" essay.  You might want to include an addendum about the GPA, since LSDAS shows it in relation to all Emory students, not just those in the B-school.  If you get above a 165, I would cross Temple and Emory off your list.  With a 3.1, H, S, and especially Y will be a stretch, but stranger things have happened.

datbol_06

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2005, 05:19:32 PM »
You should be fine for Penn if you can pull off a 167 and write a decent "Why Penn" essay. You might want to include an addendum about the GPA, since LSDAS shows it in relation to all Emory students, not just those in the B-school. If you get above a 165, I would cross Temple and Emory off your list. With a 3.1, H, S, and especially Y will be a stretch, but stranger things have happened.

So are you saying that if I get over a 165 that I should not even apply to Temple or Emory?  or that they are guaranteed?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2005, 05:24:33 PM »
Both.  If you score over a 165, you should focus on the T14.