The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: gpa/lsat split
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2005, 11:37:17 AM »
Man I would sacrifice a few tenths of my GPA (3.85) for a higher LSAT without hesitation (157). I really think the schools in the upper tiers are more LSAT driven than GPA driven,

06hopeful

« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2005, 11:44:03 AM »
I was an Econ major--not exactly chemical engineering, but not exactly Communications, either.  No real help there. I just hope that the high LSAT/minority status will be and aide...

ocd:  you definitely don't want to be in my position.  I would kill for a 3.85.  Shoot, I'll even take a 2.85! and a 157 isn't horrible...

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2005, 11:46:36 AM »
I was a econ major too. And yes a 157 is bad enough to possibly knock me out of T14 even as a URM

06hopeful

« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2005, 01:47:39 PM »
Apply to U of Michigan. 

06hopeful

« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2005, 01:50:06 PM »
...and retake the LSAT and aim for >163.

« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2005, 01:54:21 PM »
I was a econ major too. And yes a 157 is bad enough to possibly knock me out of T14 even as a URM

Not true. Esp. if you have good ECs.

black BBA student....what are my chances?
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2005, 01:19:42 AM »
I am new to this conference and new to the idea of law school.  I intended on graduating with a BBA from Emory's Goizueta Business School and join the workforce with the intention on getting a MBA later but now I am considering attending law school.  I have approximately a 3.1-3.2 GPA and havent taken the LSATs although I have taken a practice exam and scored a 167.  I am considering UPENN, Emory,NYU, Georgetown, Temple, Howard, and HYS.  I really want to go to UPENN above all else.  I am wondering if I have a chance @ UPENN, Georgetown, HYS.  I have recs including an internship in Sierre Leone with a private firm involved with the rebuilding of the country's infrastructure, community service time with underprivileged youth in metro atlanta, involvement in the black student alliance and starting a niche oriented event planning company.  I am exploring input from those who have been there or know people in a similar situation as me.  I know my GPA is not the best but the program Im in at school is on a curve (e.g only the top 15% can get an A etc) so its really competitive and more challenging than staying in the college/liberal arts programs. 

Thanks for the input

A.

• View Profile
Re: black BBA student....what are my chances?
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2005, 02:14:22 PM »
You should be fine for Penn if you can pull off a 167 and write a decent "Why Penn" essay.  You might want to include an addendum about the GPA, since LSDAS shows it in relation to all Emory students, not just those in the B-school.  If you get above a 165, I would cross Temple and Emory off your list.  With a 3.1, H, S, and especially Y will be a stretch, but stranger things have happened.

« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2005, 03:19:32 PM »
You should be fine for Penn if you can pull off a 167 and write a decent "Why Penn" essay. You might want to include an addendum about the GPA, since LSDAS shows it in relation to all Emory students, not just those in the B-school. If you get above a 165, I would cross Temple and Emory off your list. With a 3.1, H, S, and especially Y will be a stretch, but stranger things have happened.

So are you saying that if I get over a 165 that I should not even apply to Temple or Emory?  or that they are guaranteed?

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2005, 03:24:33 PM »
Both.  If you score over a 165, you should focus on the T14.