Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 432927 times)

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: gpa/lsat split
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2005, 11:08:44 PM »
Percentage-wise I also had a low GPA/high LSAT split.  I know at least one other poster on BLSD did as well.  We're both going to the law schools of our choice.  I don't think one split is more favorable than another.

06hopeful

« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2005, 11:11:56 PM »
What were your numbers?  For a split of roughly  2.6/170--what do you think? Is the T14 out of the question?

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2005, 11:19:19 PM »
What were your?  For a split of roughly  2.6/170.  What do you think? Is the T14 out of the question?

Hmm...well that's more of a split than I imagined.  Your chances depend on the circumstances behind that 2.6.  Please tell me you have an upward trend, majored in Chemistry, had 2 jobs, something like that.  You will need a special story to get a T14, even as an Af-Am with 170.  My numbers were 3.7/169...not a huge split but my gpa was not what it needed to be, imo.

cali444

• Sr. Citizen
  • I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2005, 11:24:24 PM »
What were your numbers?  For a split of roughly  2.6/170--what do you think? Is the T14 out of the question?

Wow, that's quite a split.  I agree with Mobell--if you don't have a good excuse for the low GPA, you will probably be shut out of the top 14 schools.  However, you'll probably get offered a lot of money from lower-ranked schools.  But who knows, if you put together a good enough application (make sure everything else is flawless), you might be surprised at the schools that will accept you.

06hopeful

« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2005, 11:34:14 PM »
If one were to ignore my first 2 years, I would be pretty much set...at the end of my 2nd year, I had a 1.x but was able to get it up to a 2.6. So, upward trend/full time employment throughout ugrad/ 2 years work experience...

lex19

« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2005, 08:39:43 AM »
06, be sure to write an adendumm about your circumstances in undergrad and how they relate to your grades....and show that you made big strides during your last two years, hth and good luck

ckendall8kp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2005, 09:55:22 AM »
Hmmm, I had a split (high lsat (not a 170 though), relatively low gpa) as well but I got into all the schools I applied to except Columbia, UVA (waitlisted) and GW. I am going to GTown in the fall. I wouldn't say that it is impossible to get into a T14, but it is much harder if the GPA is lower. I also worked for a few years and had a lot of leadership experience and community service involvement.

Good luck.

Nadege

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2005, 10:20:36 AM »
I agree with Lex that you should let them know why your numbers are the way they are so they have a little background to go with the stats. I had a split has well, but it fell along the lines of a really high GPA and an ok LSAT score.

06, be sure to write an adendumm about your circumstances in undergrad and how they relate to your grades....and show that you made big strides during your last two years, hth and good luck
Ain't no feelin' like feelin' free
When your mind's made up and your heart's in the right place...

06hopeful

« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2005, 01:38:49 PM »
Thanks guys...I know it will be tough, but I'm up to it. Addenda seem like the way to go...

SkullTatt

« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2005, 03:46:19 PM »
The 2.6 is not as bad as it may sound if you had a hard science major, or engineering, or went to a school with a tough grading policy like a miliitary academy or a couple others who do not grade-inflate and the average GPA is in the high 2's.

In any case, like the others said, write a good addendum and make sure your app is flawless.