Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 422334 times)

John Galt

Re: What are my chances?
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2005, 11:20:07 AM »
The Area is fantastic. I have an apartment in Upper West three miles from the school. On a serious note, visit all the schools you get accepted into. Don't fall into the hype of going to a particular school just because of what everyone else says. You might end up liking another institution over Harvard.

I think that's great advice. Columbia is probably my second/third choice because I really love the area. I plan to visit Cambridge sometime this year. But most of the people who know me tell me that I would love the area.

My biggest fear though is snobby kids  :-\

Snobbier than the kids at Howard? Come on, now...j/k

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2005, 11:52:50 AM »
I too think Harvard is a little unlikely, mostly because of the LSAT. It seems that HYS don't seem to dip below 165 or so.

However, you should apply to all of the top 14 schools or so. A see a likely top-10 acceptance!

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2005, 01:18:47 PM »
Did Columbia give you a full scholarship? If they did, did you give Harvard a chance to match?

At the time I was thinking about location adn finances.
Columbia= no debt
Harvard= 70-100K in debt.

Honestly I vibed better at Columbia. I spent a week at Harvard shadowing my friend and it was cool but Columbia was just the obvious choice for me.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2005, 01:19:51 PM »
Muse I thought you were from LA? Did you go to school at USC? Or are you a native New Yorker?

The Area is fantastic. I have an apartment in Upper West three miles from the school. On a serious note, visit all the schools you get accepted into. Don't fall into the hype of going to a particular school just because of what everyone else says. You might end up liking another institution over Harvard.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2005, 02:17:44 PM »
 ;)
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »
Well I might try out for Yale if I decide to get my LLM...
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2005, 02:30:52 PM »
homie, why the heck would you do that?  LLMs seem rather useless

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2005, 02:32:27 PM »
im a useless person.    8)

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2005, 02:38:45 PM »

How is a LLM useless?
Who's your Daddy now?

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2005, 02:43:51 PM »

How is a LLM useless?

unless you are doing it in tax, it is rather useless.  the JD should suffice.  usually people only go for the LLM if they went to a less prestigious law school, neither of you have to worry about that.