Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC vs. NU  (Read 545 times)

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
BC vs. NU
« on: February 24, 2005, 02:14:08 PM »
All along, I never thought I'd get into BC.  Today, they shocked me (just like Nova shocked their bball team last night, ha!) and I got an acceptance letter.  But I really like Northeastern and their coop program, plus being downtown and all.  Would I be stupid to go to NU over BC?  All things being equal, which do you think I should choose?
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

miguel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BC vs. NU
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 02:30:17 PM »
All things being equal (which is clearly up to you to make so or not...) BC is better. hands down.

But if you like NU, and think it's the right place for you, then there is nothing wrong with that! It's a great place.

Good luck, and congrats.

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 02:32:35 PM »
I know BC's ranking, but what is their reputation?  Are they thought of when people talk of top law programs?  Outside of the numerical rankings, what is the perception of their program?  I ask b/c BC is currently my top accept, and it's doubtful that UVA/Duke/Berkeley/UCLA/Minnesota/GWU are going to say yes.
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

burp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 02:38:46 PM »
Congratulations Rowgirl. I dunno why you were shocked though, since your numbers are obviously competitive.

I think if you want to do public interest, Northeastern might be the way to go with their coop program and everything. Otherwise, BC might be a better bet. BC has a  better reputation than Northeastern and is much more well known, which means if you want to work outside of New England, you should strongly consider going with BC, even for public interest.

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 02:42:50 PM »
IMHO, granted Northeastern has a really good coop program, but I think they would have to give you a lot of money to make you pick them over BC. It looks like you want to be in Boston either way and BC just opens more doors. Their reputation is a lot stronger than Northeastern.  I think the usnews rankings are overblown in importance, but just look at the reputation scores and salary ranges. Money is not the most important thing, but to me, the salary range for Northeastern means that if you aren't at the very top of your class, some jobs might not be as accessible as at BC with their $125k 25-75% range.

With that said, Northeastern does have a much better location in relation to downtown Boston.  I'm not sure what "all things being equal" means in this case, because they really aren't on the same level, but if you really like Northeastern and will be happy there, the choice is obvious. If you want to stay in the northeast, Northeastern is more than adequate to get you where you want to go. I know a lawyer that graduated from Northeastern and loved every minute of it and is very successful.

Anyways, that is my two cents worth. You are set either way.

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 05:28:58 PM »
Thanks guys, anyone have any other opinions?  I thought for sure my mind was made up, but now I'm so confused!
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

Fred Hits

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 05:31:45 PM »
i just was wondering if there was anything 'wrong' so to speak with bc- besides the coop was there a big reason you didnt like bc as much?  (just saying this cuz i think i will end up there)