Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tulane visits?  (Read 1524 times)

illinist

• AOL Instant Messenger - illinist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tulane visits?
« on: February 24, 2005, 12:33:36 PM »
Is anyone planning on visiting Tulane/has anyone visited already?  Flights from Chicago suck right now, so I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth it or not.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 
LSAT: 161     GPA: 3.36
Attending: OSU - Moritz

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=theillinist

KappaOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tulane visits?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 02:00:19 AM »
I had intended to apply to Tulane, but after going to New Orleans a few months back, I changed my mind.  It wasn't my first time visiting New Orleans, but I'm sure it will be my last.

The city just rubbed me the wrong way.  During my previous visit, I was an undergrad and I stayed in a hotel on Bourbon street and enjoyed the night life New Orleans is known for.  However, this time around, I don't know if its because I'm more mature or what, but I just wanted to leave as soon as I got there.

Traffic is a nightmare, the city has an extremely high crime rate and overall it just has a bad feel to it.

I'm not sure if you've been there before, but you should definitely visit before confirming your attendance. 

RobinHood

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 03:09:20 PM »
Having lived in New Orleans and with most of my family there, I'm not planning any kind of organized visit. But I am going down to JAZZFEST, so I'll probably try to work a visit in then, if I'm going. I still do have nine schools to hear from, but I absolutely love N'Awlins. You really must visit--people tend to feel very, very strongly about New Orleans, one way or the other--if you don't like to eat/party/be around loud people/watch football, you might not like New Orleans that much though. People LIVE large...Oh, and that bit about the traffic--I TOTALLY don't agree...I live in DC right now, and the traffic is so much better in New Orleans...You can go from the Lakefront to Tulane's campus in 15 minutes max...That distance, from, say, Chevy Chase to the Capitol would take twice as long in DC...
Ready or not...
Here I Come: Tulane (w/$$)/SMU (w/$$)/American/Georgetown
Still Hiding: GW/Vandy
Can't Find: UVA/UT
Go Home:AU/GMU

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 05:01:46 PM »
I visited Tulane, took the tour, did the interview, etc.

my app. is still pending, but i'm on the fence.

What would you like to know???

kree

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ures0lastsummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 05:46:18 PM »
I'm not applying to law school until next year, but I visited Tulane last week and sat in on a law class (property).
First of all, I don't like New Orleans too much, but I do think that it's a city that has to kind of grow on you. But, at first glance, the city seemed dirty (at least the downtown part..the garden district wasn't as bad). The traffic wasn't too too bad.

The law school itself is pretty nice, not sure how it compares to other law schools though. They don't put 1L's in sections as much as other schools tend to do. Tulane's campus is pretty small.

Don't know if this helped you much, but I'd suggest visiting for yourself. Before my visit, I really really really wanted to live in New Orleans because I've heard a lot of great things about it. Now, I think I'll have to give it more thought...
sunny: ave maria $$, drexel $$$, catholic, wvu, hofstra, drake $$
rainy: american, uf, george mason, northeastern, miami
cloudy: pittsburgh, tenn, penn state, pacific (wd), loyola chicago, stetson
still forecasting: unlv, santa clara

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=krysr

FlawedReasoning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 05:59:59 PM »
I'm living in New Orleans now... Just took the LSAT at Loyola and am planning to apply to schools next fall.

At first, I really felt lost and alone in this city. As people have said, parts of the city are dirty, you hear a lot about the crime rate, and... Well, I think it made me uncomfortable how much some people love it here and how much they want you to love it, too. Everyone kept telling me how lucky I was to be here in time for Mardi Gras, etc. (I'm not a big partier, prefer to stay in with a good book) and all I could do was sort of shrug and say, "Yeah, I guess I am lucky. Huh."

I have to admit, though, the place is growing on me. Quickly. There's another side to it, beneath all the beer-guzzling, Bourbon Street ramblers. I live in a decent neighborhood real close to the law school; housing here is not a problem and I can take the streetcar from my place to the school in about 15-20 minutes. If you were driving in from outside of the city, then you'd have problems... But if you're anywhere near either the streetcar line or the campus, transportation is easy... Plus, there are so many great little restaurants and clubs within about just 4 blocks of my house, it'll take me a year to explore them all... Forget about Bourbon Street.

But the other night I did have dinner on Bourbon Street with my wife and a friend from out of town... Outside you had the same madness, shouting, and bad 80's rock cover bands, but somehow it seemed okay. And the food was incredible!

A month ago I would have told you that I probably would not seriously consider Tulane Law, just because I needed to get back to the coast... But I've been so impressed by the school, its programs, and even the city (btw, Tulane's new law building is small but very, very nice)... Now I think it's my top choice.

I'd love to hear other people's impressions of Tulane as well.
"A magician wandered along the beach, but no one needed him."
--Douglas Adams

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 10:08:26 PM »
First of all, people who think New Orleans is dirty are the tourists that only visit the french quarter...

Tulane is located in an upscale area of NO, and I really wouldnt worry about crime any more than any other city.

And Tulane DOES NOT place first year students into sections at all.

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 05:45:16 PM »
I agree with the last post. When i visit NO to hang with my buddy at Tulane law, i never go to the french quarter. Too many tourists, dirty, and expensive.

Tulane is in the uptown area. I wouldnt walk around at night if i were a chick, which i wouldnt do almost anywhere. But its not a bad area or anything like that. Its not Beverly Hills, but it doesnt deserve the rep of the rest of town.

I love NO, cause things are cheap as sh*t, drinks are cheap, bars are open past 2am, people are mostly friendly, and saying im from LA gets me girls  ;D

Also, to the dude who said traffic was bad....are you kidding me? Try living where i do at the 405 and 10 merge in West LA, then tell me traffic is bad in NO.  :P
I will miss LA :-(

KappaOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 08:12:54 PM »

Also, to the dude who said traffic was bad....are you kidding me? Try living where i do at the 405 and 10 merge in West LA, then tell me traffic is bad in NO.  :P

Thanks for providing a different perspective.  I'm from St. Louis, and it's considered the 20 minute city.  You can pretty much get anywhere in 20 minutes and that includes during traffic jams.  I guess I've become spoiled ;)

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 08:28:43 PM »
I would kill to get to work in 20 minutes...no, seriously, i would.
I will miss LA :-(