Law School Discussion

"Republic of Texas" Again Pushes for Independence

LaneSwerver

Re: "Republic of Texas" Again Pushes for Independence
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 10:43:46 AM »
I have a plan for the United States to sell California to the French. They could use the land to make cheap wine varieties. I can't think of any other usefull purpose for that particular state, with all it's frivalry and foolishness.

To butcher the words of Kinky Friedman, who is seeking the governor's job in Texas, "My first order of business as governor would be to get rid of the career politicians. After that, I'd get rid of the Californians."

Kinky's a great guy. I'm looking forward to signing his petition to get him on the ballot.

ellie

• The ever judicious Judge Baylor
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ellie3113
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 11:07:10 AM »
I have a plan for the United States to sell California to the French. They could use the land to make cheap wine varieties. I can't think of any other usefull purpose for that particular state, with all it's frivalry and foolishness.

To butcher the words of Kinky Friedman, who is seeking the governor's job in Texas, "My first order of business as governor would be to get rid of the career politicians. After that, I'd get rid of the Californians."

Kinky's a great guy. I'm looking forward to signing his petition to get him on the ballot.

Do you know where we might be able to do that.  When I see a certain current governor here in the halls of the Capitol it's difficult not to ask him if he has a brain.  I should keep my mouth shut though I work for a Republican.... but he's a nice one.

ellie

• The ever judicious Judge Baylor
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ellie3113
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 11:08:30 AM »
We should move the Cowboys and give Texas back to Mexico. That third tier toilet state is pretty much America's Tijuana anyway.

Why would you want the Cowboys?  I would gladly give them to another state, they suck --Go Texans.  BTW you're kinda mean.

giffy

• Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 11:18:25 AM »
Could they take Alabama, Arkansas, and a few other Southern States with them. Aside from oil, which we could just buy or take from them, I can't for the life of me figure out what these states contribute to our country.

For the record, all of the aforementioned states tried to leave.

Part of me wishes we had just let them go. We would be a lot more prosperous and well off country.

I am really just kidding.

Silicon Valley, a good chuck of the entertainment industry, a large tax base, and shipping ports to name a few. Its rich sttes like california that subsidize states like Alabama with federal tax dollars.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 11:33:19 AM »

Do you know where we might be able to do that.  When I see a certain current governor here in the halls of the Capitol it's difficult not to ask him if he has a brain.  I should keep my mouth shut though I work for a Republican.... but he's a nice one.

He has to wait until after the primaries for the next election. Only people who did not vote in either primary are eligible to sign the petition to include him on the ballot. It should be an interesting campaign!

LaneSwerver

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 11:34:22 AM »
We should move the Cowboys and give Texas back to Mexico. That third tier toilet state is pretty much America's Tijuana anyway.

You can have the Cowboys. Now, get back to humping your dog.

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2005, 11:36:41 AM »

Why would you want the Cowboys?  I would gladly give them to another state, they suck --Go Texans.  BTW you're kinda mean.

Awwww now I feel bad...wait, is that Emilio? I don't feel bad anymore.

I hear America singing

• How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 11:53:02 AM »
To be honest, I think that the inherent value of the "poorer" states is that most of them contain so much land.

I'm sure if it were possible, Japan would gladly buy Alabama for trillions of dollars.

I think over the centuries, these states will give the U.S. much needed breathing room.

prospect

• "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 11:59:39 AM »
A rogue, oil-producing, fundamentalist state on our borders?  Sounds like grounds for invasion...

giffy

• Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 12:06:15 PM »
To be honest, I think that the inherent value of the "poorer" states is that most of them contain so much land.

I'm sure if it were possible, Japan would gladly buy Alabama for trillions of dollars.

I think over the centuries, these states will give the U.S. much needed breathing room.

Now there's an idea. Solve the deficit for sure.

A rogue, oil-producing, fundamentalist state on our borders? Sounds like grounds for invasion...

Brilliant