Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any prospective Japanese law students out there?  (Read 1042 times)

Pianist

• View Profile
Any prospective Japanese law students out there?
« on: February 24, 2005, 03:18:59 AM »
Does anyone know of a Japanese J.D. student, with a Japanese citizenship, matriculated in law school??  There seems to be a fair number of Japanese Americans, but none of the top-tier schools lists Japan as part of the foreign nations that their student body represents.  The bar exam pass rate is about 3% in Japan; isnít anyone interested in pursuing a career as a lawyer here in the U.S., where the bar pass rate is 60~80%??

Iím Japanese, so Iím interested in how the admissions committee might view my application.

Osprey

• Cheers
    • View Profile
Re: Any prospective Japanese law students out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 10:55:14 AM »
Most of the Bar exam takers are native JD graduates, there is no way to equivalent this number to foreign students' passing rate, I'm afraid.
However, I know some Japanese students who come to US for a LLM degree with the only purpose of taking NY/CA bar coz they told me it is even harder to pass bar exam in Japan. Some of them do succeed for the first time.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 11:16:03 AM »
Does anyone know of a Japanese J.D. student, with a Japanese citizenship, matriculated in law school??  There seems to be a fair number of Japanese Americans, but none of the top-tier schools lists Japan as part of the foreign nations that their student body represents.  The bar exam pass rate is about 3% in Japan; isnít anyone interested in pursuing a career as a lawyer here in the U.S., where the bar pass rate is 60~80%??

Iím Japanese, so Iím interested in how the admissions committee might view my application.

wow 3%.  That's brutal.  What does everyone who doesn't pass do?  I've never heard of such horrendous pass rates. 

Pianist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 03:05:30 AM »
Yeah, it's not rare to find someone who spent the last 5 to 10 years studying for the bar exam. As you can imagine, an attorney is an extremely lucrative and distinguished profession in Japan.

According to Waseda University in Japan, the bar exam is supposed to be made "easier" in the upcoming years.... " in 2010, 3,000 people should pass the new Exam annually."

So maybe the bar pass rate will rise to, say, 5% ??

cultleader

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 03:49:56 AM »
Things are very similar in Korea, We have a similar passage rate. To take a bar exam you don't need the law education here..actually you don't need any education for it. so anybody can take it and too many people apply for it and exam system is very stupid here,,it is more like a lottery. so it is very common to spend 10 years for that exam ending up as a permant unemployment or psycho...
So the government finally decided to adopt Americal law school system here from 2008. Need to wait and see how it will turn out.
Many koreans take LSAT and go to US law schools i found that almost every law school in the US has korean students there.
As for me, I went to best law college in Korea only to fail in the lottery and decide to go to the U.S. But having spent last 10 years for that lottery, I almost had no working experience (except the mandatory military service), somewhat low gpa (school had nothing to do with the exam)so I got dinged at every top 20 school.(LSAT-167) But I got accepted to a few good schools and I'm happy about it...
anyway Gambatte.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 12:58:34 AM »
3%?

wow...

that's pretty low passage rate.