Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Widener-DE vs Touro - Please help me decide  (Read 871 times)

TheDozer

• View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=TheDozer
Widener-DE vs Touro - Please help me decide
« on: February 24, 2005, 02:59:01 AM »
So far I've only been accepted to these two schools and I am not sure yet where I should go. Please give me some opinions on these two schools Thanks.

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
Re: Widener-DE vs Touro - Please help me decide
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 03:01:05 AM »
What type of law do you want to practice and where do you want to practice?

georgialax

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 07:37:05 AM »
choose Touro if you want to work in New York...otherwise it will be hard for you to find a job

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 09:24:16 AM »
So far I've only been accepted to these two schools and I am not sure yet where I should go. Please give me some opinions on these two schools Thanks.

Yes, the location thing is the key. Personally, I wish I had your dilema. I am waiting on both. Congrats!!
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

TheDozer

• View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=TheDozer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 01:13:54 PM »
Thanks for your input, I don't know what type of law I want to practice yet but I do think I would rather practice in New York than in Delaware. But, I have heard so many bad things about Touro. Does anyone know if it is really such a bad school?

Trel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 01:27:34 PM »
Don't know what the deal is in delaware...but just keep in mind that although NYC is the largest legal market in the nation, you have to compete against all the schools ranked above you.  So if you attend Touro, then you have to compete against the T14, Fordham, Cardozo, St. John's, Brooklyn, and NYLS.  Also, from the USNews data, only 42% of graduates are employed at graduation, and only 77% employed 9 months after graduation.  Additionally, the median private sector salary is only $56k.  If you got a scholarship to go there you might be fine, but if you're financing it yourself, it's going to be Very difficult to pay back 100k+ in loans and live in NYC on 56k/year
You can see my numbers at LSN

LaneSwerver

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 01:29:24 PM »
Remember: Due to their favorable business laws, MANY companies headquarter in Delaware. Probably have some good internship opportunities.

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 01:30:29 PM »
have you tried the website www.4law.net?? if i remeber there are several reviews on there about Touro and they didnt seem all that bad.
HUSL 1L

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 01:32:33 PM »
Thanks for your input, I don't know what type of law I want to practice yet but I do think I would rather practice in New York than in Delaware. But, I have heard so many bad things about Touro. Does anyone know if it is really such a bad school?

I would imagine that it just gets a bad rep because of all the really great schools in NY. But unless you want to practice BIGLAW, I would think you'd be fine. More and more I am hearing that it seems it doesn't really matter that much where you went to LS, but what matters is how well you did in LS. Someone who graduates at the top of their class from Touro may not be as highly regarded as someone who graduates from NYU, but would probably be more highly regarded than someone in the bottom half from Pace or NYLS.  Make sense??
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

Whygohome

• Sr. Citizen
  • If you don't get into LS you can always work here.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 01:53:09 PM »
Remember: Due to their favorable business laws, MANY companies headquarter in Delaware. Probably have some good internship opportunities.

Actually Lane I believe many companies are incorporated there but don't have their headquarters there. Widener has one of the top healthcare law programs and in case anyone cares also has the only JD/Psyd program in the nation.

Still in comes downto location, if you want to practice in the NY area go to Touro, if you prefer the Delaware Valley go to Widener.
Stats: 2.82(3.24) 152,157
Accepted: Widener, Mich St., Gonzaga
Denied: Seattle, IU-Indy, Pitt, Willamette, Case
WL: SIUC, UMKC
Pending: Duquesne, and Pacific.