Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northeastern vs Loyola  (Read 891 times)

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
Northeastern vs Loyola
« on: February 24, 2005, 02:23:07 AM »
I have a tough choice, I've gotten in Loyola and Northeastern.  Loyola is obviously the more prestigous school and I would like to stay in California.  However, I have a somewhat diverse background (lived abroad a good chunk of my like, photographer, art history major, this that and the other) and part of me thinks I would fit in much better at Northeastern.  It being a sort of alternative and liberal school.  I'm worried (and this may be unfounded) that Loyola is a bunch of rich LA kids, which I can handle in small quantities, but I like to be in a diverse environment.  I guess it comes down to I just don't know and does anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other about either school?  I'm also sort of worried that Northeastern is 2/3 girls, I know law school keeps you busy, but I would like to be able to get a date in the next 3 years. Thanks for any help you can give me! 
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

DodgerLaw

Re: Northeastern vs Loyola
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 02:24:31 AM »
Where do you want to live long-term?

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 02:27:01 AM »
California really, but I have heard that Boston is an awesome town.  Of course I do hate the cold...

DodgerLaw

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 02:31:04 AM »
From everything I've read on this board and in books like Law School Confidential, you'll have much better opportunities to get jobs if you attend a law school in the region in which you plan to practice. This doesn't apply to Harvand, but it definitely applies to schools like Loyola and Northeastern.

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 02:34:38 AM »
Yeah I think you're definitely right in that respect.  I'm just trying to decide what's more important to me locale or the school.

DodgerLaw

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 02:38:12 AM »
It sounds like you are in California currently. I think it's time for you to visit the campus. I guess if you have the time and resources, you might want to fly out to Northeastern too. I've read of some people getting flights and hotels paid for by the colleges while they make visits. You could ask Northeastern if they might do that for you.

edworld

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 11:07:22 AM »
I think I might find myself in a similar situation. I've been accepted to Northeastern, and perhaps will be accepted to Loyola, and then I will have to make my decision. I'm from NJ, and have visited both campuses. I loved Loyola's campus, and didn't really mind the area it was located in. Northeastern's campus is nice as well, with a great gym and facilities. Northeastern's newest stats are 60% female to 40% male, so that number has changed a bit.
I am not a fan of the cold either, but Boston is closer to home, and I do not know if I can take the chance of moving to L.A., although I have family in the area.

I would definitely visit Northeastern if I were you. I think you will see how diverse the campus and its students are, how different the co-op program is, and then you can go from there. You can always do your co-ops in California. Then you could potentially have worked for your future employer as a law student.
Attending: American
Accepted: American, Northeastern (w/$8,500), Suffolk, Pepperdine, Southwestern
STILL Pending $%@#: USD, Loyola (LA)
Denied: Boston College, Boston University, Columbia, NYU
Waitlist: Cardozo, Temple

burp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 11:28:56 AM »
I second edworld. You should really visit the campuses to get a feel. I used to like Northeastern a lot from what I knew of the program, environment, and other things. But I was really diappointed when I visited. Unlike edworld, I found the facilities old and decrepit. The classrooms in the basement were really ugly and just had a depressing feeling. They've also increased the number of students without expanding the law facilities, so some classes are held at another building. It really wasn't a place I'd like to spend the next three years of my life.

Of course you might fall in love with Northeastern once you visit, but I'm just saying you really have to visit the campus to see for yourself if it fits you.

edworld

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 11:57:38 AM »
Progressivepanda, I feel tricked! When we went on the tour, is it possible they only showed us the nice parts of the campus/Cargill Hall? We saw the basement where the lockers and small rooms were, as well as the lecture room. That stuff seemed new, as did the building next to it, as well as the Marino building. The library didn't exactly seem new though. Now I'm starting the think what I saw wasn't exactly representative...
Attending: American
Accepted: American, Northeastern (w/$8,500), Suffolk, Pepperdine, Southwestern
STILL Pending $%@#: USD, Loyola (LA)
Denied: Boston College, Boston University, Columbia, NYU
Waitlist: Cardozo, Temple

burp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 12:24:57 PM »
edworld, I also went on their tour, but I also had a friend take me around. I might have been harsher on Northeastern because I had just toured BC the week before and visited Roger Williams about two weeks after that. Roger Williams' building is practically brand new, and BC was very spacious, which may have just tricked me into thinking it was so much nicer than Northeastern. I think we saw the same things, but just came away feeling differently. It's all relative, I suppose.

The friends I know at Northeastern both went because they didn't have much choice, so they're somewhat pessimistic and feel stuck there. I might have gotten some of the bad vibes from them too.