Law School Discussion

Is Kaplan better than nothing?

BAFF213

Re: Is Kaplan better than nothing?
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 10:15:42 PM »
I definitely agree with Jennaye here - Kaplan was pretty much a waste of time (and money).  The only thing they were good for was their test center (which I studied at a lot), although I easily could have done this at the library.  I really don't think it's worth the money.

The thing is that taking a prep course (at least Kaplan) is not really as helpful as you think it might be because you are going to have to work your ass off regardless.  I thought a prep course (i.e. Kaplan) would be helpful because it would force me to go to class, do work, etc., but 99% of your prepping is going to be outside of class anyway, so you're going to have to suck it up and study either way.  Spend your money on something worthwhile - buy the LGB, LRB and all the prep tests.

I would say that you're better off without Kaplan.  I took it, and think that my time could have been spent much more wisely.  I would suggest just getting LSAT prep books and taking lots of practice tests.  (basically Kaplan is just some shmuck reading out of their intstruction manual anyway...)

Had I known then what I know now, I would not have signed up for the damn course.

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2005, 10:18:13 PM »
I definitely agree with Jennaye here - Kaplan was pretty much a waste of time (and money).  The only thing they were good for was their test center (which I studied at a lot), although I easily could have done this at the library.  I really don't think it's worth the money.

The thing is that taking a prep course (at least Kaplan) is not really as helpful as you think it might be because you are going to have to work your ass off regardless.  I thought a prep course (i.e. Kaplan) would be helpful because it would force me to go to class, do work, etc., but 99% of your prepping is going to be outside of class anyway, so you're going to have to suck it up and study either way.  Spend your money on something worthwhile - buy the LGB, LRB and all the prep tests.

Did your score improve with Kaplan?

BAFF213

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 10:22:15 PM »
You can get your money back if the course hasn't started yet (or even if it has).

Better be worth it!  I'm signed up and ready to roll :D.

Nnnnnooooooo

You're makin' me nervous :-\!

BAFF213

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2005, 10:27:08 PM »
My score improved, but not from Kaplan.  I studied my ass off outside of class using the LGB and other prep books and did 19 prep tests.  My score improved from 151 (diagnostic) to 161 (last two tests) but on test day (this past October) I kind of messed up - I got really nervous, etc.  I plan on retaking in June and possibly re-applying next year if my score goes up enough.  I'm studying again now using just prep tests and I'm scoring around 160.  My current study routine is pretty much just to retake every single preptest in the next 3 months.

Did your score improve with Kaplan?

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2005, 10:34:39 PM »
My score improved, but not from Kaplan.  I studied my ass off outside of class using the LGB and other prep books and did 19 prep tests.  My score improved from 151 (diagnostic) to 161 (last two tests) but on test day (this past October) I kind of messed up - I got really nervous, etc.  I plan on retaking in June and possibly re-applying next year if my score goes up enough.  I'm studying again now using just prep tests and I'm scoring around 160.  My current study routine is pretty much just to retake every single preptest in the next 3 months.

Nice. my study plan is similar to yours + PS.

BAFF213

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2005, 10:45:17 PM »
good plan - if you're feeling really motivated, maybe even take some of the tests twice (you might have to buy another prepbook).

Nice. my study plan is similar to yours + PS.

helendemilo

• My name is M, I'm a lesser-known character.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rocketscience87
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2005, 11:18:37 PM »
I know myself.  I'm not the type to start well in advance and study just because I should.  Unless someone is making me do homework and checking on me, I won't do it.  If I said I would study on my own, I would just be lying to myself. 

So Kaplan was great for me because it's only one 3-hour class a week.  I would have burnt out on more.  The homework assigned in class and online kept me on task.  I did do all the homework.

My score improved quite a bit.  Not necessarily due to any secret Kaplan method but just due to my studying (which I wouldn't have done without the class). 

Also, since I work, the money wasn't a big deal.  A good LSAT score will be worth much more.  It was an "investment" ;-)

I was happy with Kaplan.  The instructor does just read out of the materials.  Also, the people in the class are regular average students - scoring anywhere from 140's to 160's.  Take that for whatever it means.

All in all, I really liked it.  Also, I travel, so I did attend classes in 3 cities.  That was handy for me, otherwise I would have had to miss quite a few classes.

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2005, 12:06:15 AM »
it just frustrates me that Kaplan doesn't get their program straightened out and stop ripping people off that don't have other courses to choose from.  I hate it when teachers just read the material to you.  Don't insult my intelligence, I can read and to save $1,200 I can read very well! But I am signed up for Kaplan to improve my timing and for the adminstered "fake" tests where they help you analyze where you need to improve. so, we'll see...

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2005, 02:04:41 AM »
kaplan isn't all that bad. it just really depends on your instructor.  they have the best online resource, as compared to Princeton Review and Powerscore.  And they're the only one with a money-back/retake the course if not pleased policy.  Honestly, i don't think it's what course you sign up for that makes the difference, it how much commitment you give to studying the material, whatever their methodology may be.

approach it like a job.  practice practice practice.  and take advantage of all of kaplan's stuff: the test bank, online, do all the homework.  chin up!  you'll be fine.