Law School Discussion

Is Kaplan better than nothing?

Re: Is Kaplan better than nothing?
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 12:03:12 PM »
I took Kaplan in DC.  I think the online resources and access to all of the tests in the center are vey useful.  I didn't find class useful at all.  Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: I think you can get the online stuff and access to the center for cheaper then the regular class room price.

finko

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 12:06:12 PM »
took Kaplan, when up 9 points. Just don't be the jackass who treats it like an 1st year undergrad class.

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 12:09:06 PM »
Kaplan helped raise my score and now I have two acceptances with probably more on the way.

DodgerLaw

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 12:27:31 PM »
Personally I liked Kaplan for the Games, the resources at the center and onliine. I'm not so sure about the appraoches to LR and RC. If you need help mainly in one area, you might consider a Kaplan tutor.

Jennaye

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 08:51:37 PM »
Better be worth it!  I'm signed up and ready to roll :D.

Nnnnnooooooo

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 09:14:14 PM »
After reviewing PS "stuff" for weeks, I've started looking at the Kaplan books. My initial impression is that the Kaplan material is not as bad as some ppl suggest they are. While I'm signed up for PS and am eagerly waiting to start the course, I think I can say that if Kaplan was my only option I'd seriously consider it based on what I've seen in their books. Especially since I believe I need a review course.

Jennaye

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2005, 09:32:36 PM »
Better be worth it!  I'm signed up and ready to roll :D.

Nnnnnooooooo

You're makin' me nervous :-\!

Sorry, I hate Kaplan.  I show up on the first day of "class" and who's the instructor?  Some kid from my class.  I mean, sure he's smart and nice and all but for $1200 I'd like someone with a bit of experience under their belt.

And their materials suck.  The pace is very slow in the classroom as well.

SanchoPanzo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 09:46:02 PM »
The instructors always make a big difference.

Jennaye: Did you get a refund?

Jennaye

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 09:52:14 PM »
The instructors always make a big difference.

Jennaye: Did you get a refund?

No, because I did score better on the actual LSAT than on the diagnostic.  Only because the diagnostic was the first LSAT I had ever seen, so obviously after seeing the format anyone's score would improve.  But throughout the course, my score did not improve after the second test.

If you really want to do the Kaplan course, my advice would be to take a couple practice LSATs just to familiarize yourself with it so that your score "improvement" isn't just the result of seeing the test more.

SanchoPanzo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 10:10:14 PM »
No. I'm taking PS. But reading Kaplan books to "pass the time".