Law School Discussion

Is Kaplan better than nothing?

Is Kaplan better than nothing?
« on: February 23, 2005, 09:40:36 PM »
Do I pay $1,200 for a Kaplan full course or not take any class at all. Kaplan is the only one offered in my area.  I've stared to work through LGB and will do LRB.  Is Kaplan better than nothing or will it atleast help with my timing? Thanks!

Geddon187

Re: Is Kaplan better than nothing?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 09:49:10 PM »
Where do you live? A course is not necessary if you are self motivated.

shari

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 09:54:51 PM »
It depends on you.  A friend of mine imporved his score by 16 or more points by taking
the Kaplan course.  You must do the homework, online tutorials etc.  And lots of
practise tests.

lawbuddy

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 09:56:59 PM »
I say yes

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 09:57:30 PM »
Frankly, I figure it's more a function of hard work than anything else. I figure that if you work your ass off studying, then you're going to be in good shape.

If not and you don't study or just breeze through, you're probably in big trouble.

I don't know, maybe there are some people smart enough to just look at it for the first time and make a 170 plus, but I know I'm not one of them, and I highly doubt any others are either.

Regardless of it you take Kaplan, just study hard and  you'll be okay.

Jennaye

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 09:58:46 PM »
I would say that you're better off without Kaplan.  I took it, and think that my time could have been spent much more wisely.  I would suggest just getting LSAT prep books and taking lots of practice tests.  (basically Kaplan is just some shmuck reading out of their intstruction manual anyway...)

Had I known then what I know now, I would not have signed up for the damn course.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 01:03:13 AM »
Where do you live?

I attend University of Nebraska at Lincoln.  Kaplan is the only full course within reasonable driving distance.  I would love to take a Powerscore course because the Bibles are awesome. The only other course close is over 2 hours away in Kansas City, a weekend course by Testmasters.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and imput!

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 05:25:10 AM »
I say yes

I second. Anything that helps you study is better than nothing. As to whether that thing is worth $1200 bucks is a different question.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 07:36:05 AM »
Have you taken any practice tests? What I did was take one totally blind (which you can't do at this point) to see where I stood. Since the score was high enough, I decided to study on my own instead of taking a course. So, if you are good at studying on your own and are already doing well, I would suggest the "DIY" approach. If you need more structure or are unhappy with your scores thus far, go for the prep course. But I would certainly keep studying the LRB and LGB and take a lot of practice tests.

BenRoberts

• Kid Magnet: 4 men, 8 women and A Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 11:43:54 AM »
Also, Kaplan and Powerscore have different methods of approaching games and LR.  Kaplan's method may not gel well after studying Powerscore.