Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do highschool grades matter?  (Read 7298 times)

shiveringjenny

Re: Do highschool grades matter?
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 12:05:45 AM »
i wish there had been welding at my school.  that would have been really fun. i don't understand why there was a home ec class but no shop. i've always wanted shop.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 12:07:05 AM »
I wish they did.  Those 2 semesters of "office aide" my senior year could have been just the extra curriculars to give me a shot at YHS.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 12:08:23 AM »
Hijack:

Giffy, out of the three schools you've been accepted to, which one would you attend?

I don't know why, but I've always seen you as the L&C type (maybe because of the nature scenes in your avatars)

Congratulations, BTW.

Right now I am leaning toward Seattle U. I want to work in Seattle and so far that seems to be the best school for that. Lc looks really nice, but jsut doesn't place as well. I am also considering Washington and Lee, but it is more money (blah), in virginia (double blah), and I do know who well it palces in Seattle (potencial blah). If I get into UW then it is most certainly my top choice.

Forgive me if you have already said, but where have you gotten into so far.

I was accepted into Georgia State, University of Louisville, Saint Louis University and University of Arkansas, all part-time.

Then I had an epiphany and realized that with Stafford loans I could attend full-time and quit teaching; this coupled with the fact that the wife and I are more than ready to move home means that I will officially be a 1L at Mississippi College this fall.

I'm happy, because I want to live in Mississippi, as sad as that might sound to some.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

lil_token

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 12:10:37 AM »
Schools don't even see your HS transcripts. They only matter for getting in to Undergrad.

My college transcript actually lists my HS GPA and class rank.  However, I really don't think law schools look at that information when making and admissions decision.

A.J

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 12:11:23 AM »
I f-in got laid out of home ec.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 12:11:49 AM »
My college transcript actually lists my HS GPA and class rank.

Wow, when they say "permanent record", they mean it!

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2005, 11:39:56 AM »
In high school it's all an ACT/SAT game.  Do well on one of those, grab a scholarship, and do well in college.  GPA in high school (despite what the valedictorians would have you believe) means next to nothing.
HS GPA definitely does not matter, but I'd argue that SAT doesn't necessarily matter either. My HS grades were mediocre because I just didn't care and I never even took the SAT.I went to community college, transferred to UC Davis and did well there, got a decent LSAT score and will be able to go to a decent law school. You could do well in HS to get into a good college to get into a good law school, but the fact is there are many paths to success, and thankfully success in HS is not a requirment for all of them.
Fortune cookie wisdom: No one knows what she can do until she tries

vkschicago

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 11:42:49 AM »
actually it can matter.  I have a college class that I took during HS showing up on my lsac transcript.  I'm still trying to figure out if this is because I tried to get college credit for it, or if it's because it was taken at a community college, showed up on the CC transcript and it's a mistake on lsac's part

so if the situation arises where you can get credit for HS classes, unless you get an A, I'd turn it down.

I have a problem with a high school dual credit class.  Much drama with University of Florida.  If anyone is interested I would be happy to explain.  Blah.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 04:10:43 PM »
I wish they did.  Those 2 semesters of "office aide" my senior year could have been just the extra curriculars to give me a shot at YHS.

A fellow office aide. :) Heck, I was an "office aide" my junior year. That sort of advanced whatever should be just the ticket to get me into Harvard. Maybe I'll send an addendum this afternoon. ;)
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 04:18:23 PM »

A fellow office aide. :) Heck, I was an "office aide" my junior year. That sort of advanced whatever should be just the ticket to get me into Harvard. Maybe I'll send an addendum this afternoon. ;)

Yah, well I was an office aid during middle school.