Law School Discussion

Do highschool grades matter?

Do highschool grades matter?
« on: February 23, 2005, 09:09:55 PM »
I've been lurking around this website for quite some time in hopes of answering some of my questions concerning Law School. I read someone's comment on here, which stated that high school grades matter to law schools and I was wondering if that's really the case. I am currently a senior in highschool and I haven't exactly showed what I am really capable of and I'm worried now that I might not make it into a law school due to my failures for the past three years. So do law schools actually check your high school transcripts and have it play into their decision to accept/reject you from their school? Thanks in advance.

edit Thank you very much for your helpful replies. I can now sleep at night. :)

Javert

• Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
Re: Do highschool grades matter?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 09:14:17 PM »
No, they don't care. Slack off to your heart's content.

I hear America singing

• How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 09:17:24 PM »
In high school it's all an ACT/SAT game.  Do well on one of those, grab a scholarship, and do well in college.  GPA in high school (despite what the valedictorians would have you believe) means next to nothing.

giffy

• Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 09:20:04 PM »
Schools don't even see your HS transcripts. They only matter for getting in to Undergrad.

I hear America singing

• How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 09:25:01 PM »
Hijack:

Giffy, out of the three schools you've been accepted to, which one would you attend?

I don't know why, but I've always seen you as the L&C type (maybe because of the nature scenes in your avatars)

Congratulations, BTW.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 09:40:30 PM »
They don't care about your HS grades; in fact, they will never see your transcripts and never ask for your grades. I should know; I was the biggest slacker imaginable in HS (hell, I was straight out flunking classes in HS), and I haven't had any problems getting into really good law schools. :) The important thing is to get into gear when you start college, perform to the level of your abilities.

giffy

• Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 09:45:20 PM »
Hijack:

Giffy, out of the three schools you've been accepted to, which one would you attend?

I don't know why, but I've always seen you as the L&C type (maybe because of the nature scenes in your avatars)

Congratulations, BTW.

Right now I am leaning toward Seattle U. I want to work in Seattle and so far that seems to be the best school for that. Lc looks really nice, but jsut doesn't place as well. I am also considering Washington and Lee, but it is more money (blah), in virginia (double blah), and I do know who well it palces in Seattle (potencial blah). If I get into UW then it is most certainly my top choice.

Forgive me if you have already said, but where have you gotten into so far.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 09:45:51 PM »
actually it can matter.  I have a college class that I took during HS showing up on my lsac transcript.  I'm still trying to figure out if this is because I tried to get college credit for it, or if it's because it was taken at a community college, showed up on the CC transcript and it's a mistake on lsac's part

so if the situation arises where you can get credit for HS classes, unless you get an A, I'd turn it down.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 09:58:56 PM »
It matters because you took the class at a college. Any class that you take at a college/Univ, even if it is for HS credit/during HS, is counted by LSAC. But normal HS classes are not considered.

A.J

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 10:01:46 PM »
I f-in ACED WELDING!

HTH