Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do highschool grades matter?  (Read 7446 times)

jolts

• AOL Instant Messenger - sos+sightings
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do highschool grades matter?
« on: February 23, 2005, 11:09:55 PM »
I've been lurking around this website for quite some time in hopes of answering some of my questions concerning Law School. I read someone's comment on here, which stated that high school grades matter to law schools and I was wondering if that's really the case. I am currently a senior in highschool and I haven't exactly showed what I am really capable of and I'm worried now that I might not make it into a law school due to my failures for the past three years. So do law schools actually check your high school transcripts and have it play into their decision to accept/reject you from their school? Thanks in advance.

edit Thank you very much for your helpful replies. I can now sleep at night. :)

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
Re: Do highschool grades matter?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 11:14:17 PM »
No, they don't care. Slack off to your heart's content.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 11:17:24 PM »
In high school it's all an ACT/SAT game.  Do well on one of those, grab a scholarship, and do well in college.  GPA in high school (despite what the valedictorians would have you believe) means next to nothing.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 11:20:04 PM »
Schools don't even see your HS transcripts. They only matter for getting in to Undergrad.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 11:25:01 PM »
Hijack:

Giffy, out of the three schools you've been accepted to, which one would you attend?

I don't know why, but I've always seen you as the L&C type (maybe because of the nature scenes in your avatars)

Congratulations, BTW.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 11:40:30 PM »
They don't care about your HS grades; in fact, they will never see your transcripts and never ask for your grades. I should know; I was the biggest slacker imaginable in HS (hell, I was straight out flunking classes in HS), and I haven't had any problems getting into really good law schools. :) The important thing is to get into gear when you start college, perform to the level of your abilities.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 11:45:20 PM »
Hijack:

Giffy, out of the three schools you've been accepted to, which one would you attend?

I don't know why, but I've always seen you as the L&C type (maybe because of the nature scenes in your avatars)

Congratulations, BTW.

Right now I am leaning toward Seattle U. I want to work in Seattle and so far that seems to be the best school for that. Lc looks really nice, but jsut doesn't place as well. I am also considering Washington and Lee, but it is more money (blah), in virginia (double blah), and I do know who well it palces in Seattle (potencial blah). If I get into UW then it is most certainly my top choice.

Forgive me if you have already said, but where have you gotten into so far.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 11:45:51 PM »
actually it can matter.  I have a college class that I took during HS showing up on my lsac transcript.  I'm still trying to figure out if this is because I tried to get college credit for it, or if it's because it was taken at a community college, showed up on the CC transcript and it's a mistake on lsac's part

so if the situation arises where you can get credit for HS classes, unless you get an A, I'd turn it down.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 11:58:56 PM »
It matters because you took the class at a college. Any class that you take at a college/Univ, even if it is for HS credit/during HS, is counted by LSAC. But normal HS classes are not considered.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

A.J

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 12:01:46 AM »
I f-in ACED WELDING!

HTH