Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Catholic and American visits  (Read 5766 times)

MiamiHurricane

• View Profile
Re: Catholic and American visits
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2005, 11:12:17 AM »

GoHuskies05

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2005, 11:14:31 AM »
Check out these links

For Bargain restaurants:
http://www.washingtonianmagazine.com/dining/100bbindex.html

For the regular top 100
http://www.washingtonianmagazine.com/dining/04vbcontents.html

Thanks MiamiHurricane.  I subscribe to that magazine, just for those issues.  I have a Zagat account, which I won't give out over the web, but someone can PM me. 

Edit:  If someone is reading this thread, and they are coming to the DC for school, I suggest you buy a subscription to the Washingtonian.  It's only like $12 a year, which is a HUGE savings off the cover price.  I also suggest subscribing at least to the Sunday Washington Post.  The Post has great recommendations for food, which is why amongst other reasons, I think it is the best newspaper in the history of the world.

Elvis

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2005, 11:34:51 AM »
Lauriol Plaza is popular in DC only because it's in DC.  It wouldn't survive in another city, especially at what they price.  There is a place in Baltimore (Canton Square) called Nacho Mamas which is 1/2 the price and twice as good.  I suggest you try it out.    

Mobey D*c is flat out not good.  I've been to all of their locations, because other people have recommended it to me, and I just couldn't believe it was so bad.  Mobey male private part is actually worse than Lebanese Taverna, which I couldn't believe could happen.  

I'll agree with you about Lauriol on the food, but let's not kid ourselves, we all go there for the margaritas - and usually by the time the food comes, we don't really care that it's not all that good  :)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2005, 11:43:56 AM »
eileen is right.  You guys scare easily.  My car was robbed in Woodley Park, which is about as Northwest as you can get.  There have been shootings in Dupont recently. 

Catholic is fine, so is the area around it.  I go to church there on Sundays.  Sometimes I drive, sometimes I take the Metro.  Either way, I'm never scared of anything. 

I personally think Adams Morgan is much more dangerous on a Friday/Saturday night at 3-4am than the area around Catholic, which is basically docile. 

With regards to the NW signs, I guess that's a general rule, but many areas on NE and SE are improving, and will continue to do so.  Have some faith.  DC is coming back.  All we need is a Mayor with some balls.  This guy with his bow tie is pathetic. 

Basically.. I went to AU for undergrad and had the window to my car broken.. I lived down the street from CAU/Brookland while I was in law school @ GW and I didn't have any problems at all... People shouldn't make a habit to walk the streets late at night alone regardless of location- especially women.
---

On another note.. I hear what you guys from Chicago are sayin about the pizza (my hometown)..I really really miss Giordano's and Gino's East :'(
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

carlsonjd

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2005, 11:45:03 AM »
Ohh...Giordanos, that's some good stuff.

GoHuskies05

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2005, 02:31:35 PM »
Elvis,

I'm gonna stick up for Five Guys here.  The one in G-Town is new.  Everytime I've gone to a new one, it hasn't been as good as the original ones located in NOVA.  If you have time, I suggest you go to the Five Guys on Fayette and King streets in Alexandria.  If you're still disappointed, you can hunt me down.

The Idaho fries are great.  I dump vinegar all over them.  The best is that if you get a small fries for like $1.79, you get almost the same amount as a large fries which cost $3.49.

I usually get a double burger with all kinds of stuff, depending on my mood, and a small fries.  The whole thing costs like $6.50.  Unbelievable deal for the DC.

Also, good call on Tako Grill, but I think Sushi Taro has it beat.  My top three reasonably priced sushi places are:  Tako, Sushi Taro, and Spices. 

elemnopee

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2005, 02:39:01 PM »
Five Guys = Average

In and Out = God's gift to hamburger lovers

GoHuskies05

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2005, 02:52:04 PM »
Five Guys = Average

In and Out = God's gift to hamburger lovers

In and Out is good.....I don't think it's better than Five Guys though.  Five Guys isn't the best by any means.  I think you get a greater variety of fixins at Five Guys.  Plus it seems like the toppings are fresher at Five Guys.  Animal Style at In and Out is just kind of gross.  The best hamburger I've ever had is actually in Seattle at a place called Red Mill in Phinny Ridge.  I don't know if anyone knows this place.

jakew

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2005, 03:05:10 PM »
Whenever I hear about In-n-out I have to fight the urge to go buy a plane ticket to CA... I miss it so much :(

I haven't tried this Five Guys though - are there any other locations besides Alexandria and Georgetown? (I'm at AU, so the closer to here the better)

Elvis

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2005, 03:14:32 PM »
Elvis,

I'm gonna stick up for Five Guys here.  The one in G-Town is new.  Everytime I've gone to a new one, it hasn't been as good as the original ones located in NOVA.  If you have time, I suggest you go to the Five Guys on Fayette and King streets in Alexandria.  If you're still disappointed, you can hunt me down.