Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Catholic and American visits  (Read 5511 times)

snowday

• View Profile
Re: Catholic and American visits
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 03:37:22 PM »
Nice post, elvis.  Sounds like a great program.  Like to think I may be attending law school with people like you!

BTW, what is up with your avatar/quote?  Something against Bono? Or Kim Jong Il?

Elvis

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2005, 03:43:14 PM »
Nice post, elvis.  Sounds like a great program.  Like to think I may be attending law school with people like you!

BTW, what is up with your avatar/quote?  Something against Bono? Or Kim Jong Il?

Thanks snowday.  Wish it was a powder-day instead of a work day  :)
Just think Bono in this pic looks a bit like our friend over there in North Korea.

GoHuskies05

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 04:17:56 PM »
My car was robbed in Woodley Park, which is about as Northwest as you can get.  

Mine was stolen in Glover Park just north of Georgetown.   :)  It's a better place to troll for cars than most of the "bad" areas.  No street lighting as they are both residential areas, higher quality vehicles parked on the streets and very few people milling around the sidewalks at night. 

Yeah, I'm familiar with Glover Park - definitely a perfect place to break into cars.  Also considered very safe.  BTW, do you pronounce it gl-uh-ver or glow-ver?  My car was stolen in a back alley.  The house I was living in had an alley in the back where everyone kept their cars....dark, no lights, everyone was asleep.  Luckily, I was just getting back from the bars, and I was eating one of those huge slices of pizza.  I saw the guy, and he ran.  I chased him, but I couldn't find him.  It was crazy.  

GoHuskies05

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2005, 04:24:04 PM »
Sorry to all for implying you scare easily.  I used to be afraid of everything in DC.  I came from Seattle, and I would go anywhere in Seattle at any time.  I guess I'm careful in DC, but I don't use the general rules that are preached throughout the city, such as "don't cross 16th street" or if the person thinks they are tough "don't cross 14th street". 

If people followed these rules, the city would never get any better. 

snowday

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2005, 04:25:05 PM »
Two words for you if you plan to bring a car to DC: the club.  It really does work around here, as the car thieves are generally not the sophisticated type who might carry a bolt cutter.  Around here car theft is mainly a crime of opportunity, so if you have a club, the thief will generally move on to the next car.  Also, people have been known to break windows for CDs lying in the back seat.  Make sure your car is empty of any visible "valuables", even spare change.  It's a bit of an adjustment if you're not used to city life, but it becomes second nature eventually...

GoHuskies05

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2005, 04:28:56 PM »
Elvis thanks for the info.  I'm all over it.  I currently work within DC Cares.  That's another good place to start for you volunteer oriented people.  dccares.org should get you there. 

Elvis

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2005, 05:13:00 PM »
Elvis thanks for the info.  I'm all over it.  I currently work within DC Cares.  That's another good place to start for you volunteer oriented people.  dccares.org should get you there. 

Thanks GoHuskies.  I've heard of dccares and it sounds like a great organization.

lem283

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2005, 06:09:41 PM »
Also, what do you guys know about job prospects from both? I had heard some gossip that firms may actually recruit better from Catholic than from American.

I heard this too in another thread. Anyone have any input? It seems to me that as far as placement goes they are pretty evenly matched in the private sector. American certainly has it over Catholic in PI.

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2005, 06:24:09 PM »

...Luckily, I was just getting back from the bars, and I was eating one of those huge slices of pizza.  I saw the guy, and he ran.  I chased him, but I couldn't find him.  It was crazy. 

MMMmmmm, Pizza Mart jumbo slice!!!  For those of you who have never had it, you're in for a treat!!

carlsonjd

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2005, 06:29:54 PM »
I had one when I visited one of my friend's there last spring.  It was pretty gross, then again we Chicagoans aren't used to being able to fold pizza and can be pizza snobs.