Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Catholic and American visits  (Read 5500 times)

lem283

Re: Catholic and American visits
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 01:30:28 PM »
I wore nice jeans and a nice sweater to Catholic for my visit. I didn't feel uncomfortable or out of place (the tour guide was in nice pants and a sweater). The other people in my tour group were similarly dressed and the front of office staff in the admissions office promised us that they do not have any say in decisions about anything nor do they report specifics about the tourists. I am inclined to believe them.

I agree that Catholics tend to be a pretty middle of the road bunch. Catholic's undergrad is way more conservative than the law school and also way more Catholic (the guide said the law school is 40% catholic while the college is 85%). However, the law school is still bound by the Catholic obligations of the college. and itt does do some outrageous out of the mainstream right wing things like not allow a gay-straight alliance on campus (yet), put a large emphasis on anti-choice issues with institutional backing, and the law school houses the "Marriage Law Project" which has as its mission to promote the idea that "marriage is a sacred pact between one man and one woman." We were assured by the tour guide that this stuff doesn't really spill over into the classes. We were also assured that the law school is pretty evenly divided politically.

On the other hand, I noticed that they had Anthony Kennedy as a visiting lecturer in 2002 so it seems that they don't discriminate too much about the abortion thing (he was a deciding vote in Planned Parenthood v. Casey).

elemnopee

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 01:35:23 PM »
Growing up in Fairfax County I was told that if the street sign didn't have an NW on it, I didn't want to be where ever I was

Very true, or just not anywhere off of the green line.

eileen2004

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 01:53:42 PM »

Geez... you people scare easily. 

GoHuskies05

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 02:16:58 PM »
eileen is right.  You guys scare easily.  My car was robbed in Woodley Park, which is about as Northwest as you can get.  There have been shootings in Dupont recently. 

Catholic is fine, so is the area around it.  I go to church there on Sundays.  Sometimes I drive, sometimes I take the Metro.  Either way, I'm never scared of anything. 

I personally think Adams Morgan is much more dangerous on a Friday/Saturday night at 3-4am than the area around Catholic, which is basically docile. 

With regards to the NW signs, I guess that's a general rule, but many areas on NE and SE are improving, and will continue to do so.  Have some faith.  DC is coming back.  All we need is a Mayor with some balls.  This guy with his bow tie is pathetic. 

eileen2004

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 02:41:38 PM »
My car was robbed in Woodley Park, which is about as Northwest as you can get.  

Mine was stolen in Glover Park just north of Georgetown.   :)  It's a better place to troll for cars than most of the "bad" areas.  No street lighting as they are both residential areas, higher quality vehicles parked on the streets and very few people milling around the sidewalks at night. 

elemnopee

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 03:01:08 PM »
Catholic is fine, so is the area around it.  I go to church there on Sundays.  Sometimes I drive, sometimes I take the Metro.  Either way, I'm never scared of anything.  

I do not scare easy.  I took my LSAT at Catholic.  Upon my walk to the metro after the test I saw four cars with their windows smashed and stereos gone.  That does not scare, but makes me hesitant to park a car in that neighborhood.

The only time I have ever been worried for my safety was at the Florida Ave. Metro (Green Line).  At the top of the elevator a group of guys were smoking a blunt.  I am from Los Angeles and this was way worse than Wilshire or McArthur Park, more crackheads per block than I thought possible.

eileen2004

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2005, 03:17:10 PM »

I do not scare easy.  I took my LSAT at Catholic.  Upon my walk to the metro after the test I saw four cars with their windows smashed and stereos gone.  That does not scare, but makes me hesitant to park a car in that neighborhood.

The only time I have ever been worried for my safety was at the Florida Ave. Metro (Green Line).  At the top of the elevator a group of guys were smoking a blunt.  I am from Los Angeles and this was way worse than Wilshire or McArthur Park, more crackheads per block than I thought possible.

Then I think you should stop using such broad strokes to advise people on how to limit their apartment search.  Saying that all of the Green Line is bad because you saw a few guys smoking a joint is a bit extreme.  Unless you are equating "predominantly black or hispanic" with "bad neighborhood" then Columbia Heights, U Street and parts of Shaw are all good options for someone looking for an urban neighborhood that's an easy commute and resonably affordable.  Eastern Market is in SE and is a great neighborhood.  There are a number of new apartment buildings near the new Convention Center downtown that are worth looking into.  I live in the Logan Circle area - 10 years ago this would have been considered a bad neighborhood - now it's all young urban-types and puppies.  

I think you're right to be wary of parking your car near Catholic.  That said, myself and another on this thread already mentioned that our cars were stolen in two of the nicest neighborhoods in NW DC.  

snowday

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 03:26:52 PM »
I second eileen's post.  That's exactly what I was going to say.  I live in NE DC, in an area that I wouldn't have considered even 2 years ago.  The city is changing rapidly, and mostly for the better.

First post, BTW.  Been lurking for a while.  Complete at Catholic since 12/10, still no word.

carlsonjd

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 03:30:19 PM »
Most people equate minorities with bad neighborhoods; which isn't necessarily the case.  I think I would have no problem moving into a affordable neighborhood if it was close to the school and a metro stop.  Besides, a few anecdotal stories will not persuade me to red line an entire neighborhood all together.

Again though, it would be nice to get in first before I consider where to live.

Elvis

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 03:33:37 PM »
Admittedly, the neighbordhood is not the best in DC but it is also far from the most violent (like say Mount Pleasant where the majority of the gang violence happens)