Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How does everyone pay for it?  (Read 724 times)

werbz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evil Monkey
    • View Profile
How does everyone pay for it?
« on: February 23, 2005, 05:12:01 PM »
I basically had to put myself through undergrad... Jobs, some grants, and loans. I realize some people get help from the parents but I'm wondering how everyone else does it?

My LSAT/GPA combo are not enough to get me much in the way of paid tution... If I go in-state then a Federal Stafford loan will pay for it fine, but out of state, no way.

So basically, if I go out of state I'm looking at a private loan. How easy are these to get? My credit is not outstanding, so I'm wondering if I'll encounter any snags. It would really suck if I just couldn't go because I could not get a private loan.

I'm sure someone out there has some advice?

TIA

lawschoolfeign

• Sr. Citizen
  • What is Impossible for man is Possible for God
    • View Profile
Re: How does everyone pay for it?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 05:41:37 PM »
I basically had to put myself through undergrad... Jobs, some grants, and loans. I realize some people get help from the parents but I'm wondering how everyone else does it?

My LSAT/GPA combo are not enough to get me much in the way of paid tution... If I go in-state then a Federal Stafford loan will pay for it fine, but out of state, no way.

So basically, if I go out of state I'm looking at a private loan. How easy are these to get? My credit is not outstanding, so I'm wondering if I'll encounter any snags. It would really suck if I just couldn't go because I could not get a private loan.

I'm sure someone out there has some advice?

TIA

I read that even if you have bad credit, you're not necessarily too huge of a risk for a law school loan (which I mean makes sense)

You should contact different banks now and see what they say
U Mich 1L

werbz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evil Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 09:43:22 AM »
no trust fund? that sucks

hth

I feel that suckage every single day.

werbz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evil Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 09:59:44 AM »
me too -- i thought it was funny tho :)

I actually hate you. :)

Robespierre

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 10:02:51 AM »
For me, tuition will be paid by a combination of parents, loans ... and merit aid if a miracle happens.  Living expense will be negligible if I end up living at home (NYC) ... if I leave NYC then I'll pay with a combination of savings, more loans, and work earnings from summer and part-time.

It's rough, but I'm confident it'll pay off in the long run.

I'm lucky, though: no loans were necessary for UG.
Penn Law Class of '09

momofthree

• Sr. Citizen
  • my sweetie in action
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 11:05:04 AM »
loans loans and more loans.  since i won't be staying home any longer childcare is going to be a hellacious beast.
You want me to go all the way up there, to a Yankee school, just so I can come over every weekend and practice "free love" with you?

werbz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evil Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 11:07:27 AM »
loans loans and more loans.  since i won't be staying home any longer childcare is going to be a hellacious beast.

I admire you for what you are doing! I have a friend who has one child... He took out a bunch of loans and he works himself to death, but he's in his second year right now doing well.

maricutie

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 11:20:55 AM »
I'm hoping for about half of my costs to be covered by need-based aid, and the rest to be covered in loans. Assuming that holds out for all three years, that'll be about $75K + $15K from ugrad. Eeek ... but what can you do ..

momofthree

• Sr. Citizen
  • my sweetie in action
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 11:23:04 AM »
I won't complain.  I was able to stay home for six years, most women can't afford to do that.  Plus I have my sugar daddy, wonderful, handsome, brilliant husband who takes care of most of it.  $2000 a month for childcare is obscene.
You want me to go all the way up there, to a Yankee school, just so I can come over every weekend and practice "free love" with you?

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 12:29:32 PM »
I won't complain.  I was able to stay home for six years, most women can't afford to do that.  Plus I have my sugar daddy, wonderful, handsome, brilliant husband who takes care of most of it.  $2000 a month for childcare is obscene.

I hope you're talking about childcare for three kids for $2k a month! My two kids cost me around $1400. I called one daycare once and was quoted $1163.00 (for one). I told them, "thank you, but she is not made of gold."  ;D