Law School Discussion

a Chinese applicant asking for advice

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
a Chinese applicant asking for advice
« on: November 21, 2002, 03:57:23 PM »
Hello, everyone. I just found this discussion and quite like it.
I am a Chinese applicant. My undergraduate is English major. I am now in the second year of my post-graduate program, which is inter-cultural studies with a focus on Sino-occidental aesthetics and poetics. I havenít really done anything related with law. My undergraduate GPA is 3.5 and LSAT 163 (Dec 2nd, 2001). Now I plan to apply for Boston University Law school, UCLA law school and USC law school for the 2003-2004 semester. However, it is said that University of Southern California is too expensive to afford and the scholarship is only enough to cover a third of the tuition. Is that true? What are my chances to get into these three schools? Any suggestions on the possible choices for me?
As a Chinese, I find it very hard to find out information and guidance on law school application, which are relevant to me. Does anyone know relevant sources on line? Thank you very much.

Re: a Chinese applicant asking for advice
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 01:48:10 PM »
You have fairly solid numbers, but I am not sure they are high enough to guarantee admission into the schools you listed. I would encourage you to make sure that all other portions of your application are strong. I am under the impression that being Asian will not help you establish much of a minority status in California, while it could help at schools like BYU. I am definitely not here to discourage you, so please apply.

Re: a Chinese applicant asking for advice
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 04:49:25 PM »
you're a foreign student and that is as attractive as any minority group.