« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2005, 11:13:39 AM »
Congrats!!! ;D

Faure

• Meow
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: In at Temple!
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2005, 06:14:13 PM »
Seems like Temple is a solid choice for you JDubs. Yes, we should use the board to discuss the upcoming events. Is there anything else on the horizon besides the open house? What exactly are we going to do in the "mock" classes?

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2005, 08:22:38 PM »
Because I have already spent 4 1/2 years at temple undergrad and living in Philly for my entire life, I feel pretty safe giving some stats on saftey and public transportation.

At the risk of sounding like a Temple spokesperson, I will tell you all the good things on campus. I have never had a problem being there during the day. Walk a couple blocks off the campus and you might be in trouble, but as long as you stay within your bounds everything is at fine. At night, it is actually brighter than it is on overcast days. They have high powered lights on top of every building, for obvious reasons, and cops are never far from sight. I think they gave me some line that they have the third biggest law enforcement group in pennsylvania behind philly and pitt, although I have never quite understood how that could be possible.

Subway stops less than a block from the law school, however I would imagine people would be staying on campus until after it were dark, and I personally try to avoid the subway when it is not rush hour. Campus is very diverse and there is always something to do. (which is part of the reason why my GPA could be better, well that and alcohol) And the law school is pretty much in the middle of the campus for undergrads.

I know I had more points to make, but I don't know what else is really relevant. Any questions feel free to ask.

JDubs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2005, 03:57:02 AM »
Seems like Temple is a solid choice for you JDubs. Yes, we should use the board to discuss the upcoming events. Is there anything else on the horizon besides the open house? What exactly are we going to do in the "mock" classes?

Don't know much about the mock classes but I did read some posts by people who went to last year's open house.  They all seemed impressed and thought that the professors 'teaching' the mock class were very enthusiastic and genuine.  I think its more to get a sense of the learning environment than anything.

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2005, 05:04:36 PM »
Just logged into the site for the first time after reading messages for weeks, mainly out of worry....

My Temple application's been complete 11 weeks and I haven't heard a thing...154 LSAT (I know, terrible - took it the day before my wedding) and 3.95 GPA in both undergrad and grad, master's in history....

At this point, do I have a chance at all?

I've been accepted as a doctoral candidate at NYU.  I'm thinking about calling someone and asking if there's anything to do about it in light of that, since I have some decisions to make SOON.

What do y'all think?  Any advice is appreciated!

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2005, 05:08:30 PM »
I'd call them and ask as nicely as possible "what the hell are you people doing all day," or something along those lines. They seem to be taking their sweet old time with their decisions, so calling them and finding out can't hurt anything. While your there tell them to hurry up with mine as well.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=ripper813

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2005, 05:16:07 PM »
Seriously, I think they're playing the numbers game...trying to figure out if my terrible LSAT score is worth the "risk"....

All the while ignoring a GPA which is evidence years of serious academic work, and the fact that I might actually have to make some decisions about my life by some deadline.

Would letting them know they're my first choice help?

Yeah.  "What are you doing all day???" definitely would express my sentiments pretty well at this point...

Thanks for your reply.

Faure

• Meow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2005, 05:41:11 PM »
I sent my application in at the end of December and received my acceptance letter February 10th. Their tuition deposit is due by April 15th. I am sure you will hear shortly after that. Keep leetting them know how much you would like to attend.

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2005, 05:47:15 PM »
Cool, thanks.  What do y'all think is a better method of contacting the admissions people there - phone, or email, or snail, or some combination...?

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2005, 06:16:58 PM »
Congrats.  I'm hoping to receive a "big letter" from Temple myself.  I still haven't heard anything from Temple or Penn, but I didn't complete my apps until late in the cycle (early Feb, I think). 

Temple would save me about $10K per year over 'Nova.