Law School Discussion

In at Temple!

In at Temple!
« on: February 23, 2005, 11:27:01 AM »
Just got a big envelope this morning!  Anyone visited the Temple campus?  Anyone know about scholarships?  Career prospects in Philly?  NYC?  Thanks!

JDubs

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: In at Temple!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 11:53:47 AM »
First off, congrats!  There are a lot of posts on here about Temple, do a search to get answers to a lot of your questions. A brief answer to your questions though:

Temple's campus is in a pretty iffy section of Philly.  The campus itself is perfectly safe and there is public transportation on the campus so there is really no need to walk around the neighborhood.  The school started buying buildings in the surrounding area to create a buffer for its students and the outside world.  The campus itself is as safe as any other school in a large urban city.

Most people on here who received money got a second letter after the initial acceptance package.  This letter came anywhere from a week to a month after the acceptance (still hoping I receive one!). 

Career prospects are very good in Philly.  Temple seems to be a very regional school and is second only to Penn in terms of reputation for Philly schools.  Some have said that if you want to stay in Philly its as good an option as Penn is.  However, it does not travel as well as Penn meaning if you are looking to work in NYC after graduation, you're better off going to Penn or to a NYC school.  I am sure there are people who have gone to TU and gotten a job in NYC, but you'd have to be in the top of the class to get any shot at NYC big law I would imagine.

So much for a short answer.

legalkitty

• The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 11:59:26 AM »
Temple has a GREAT reputation in Philly. And don't let the neighborhood sway you too much. Like was already said, it isn't in a nice part by any means, but the school is very safe and like any city, there are nice parts and their are not so nice parts. CC (which is very nice and fun) is only about a 3 minute train ride from Temple, so it is very easy to get to the part of the city you want to be in.

Congrats!! It's a great school!

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 12:03:02 PM »
thanks for the info y'all!  Philly seems like a place I could hang for a long time.  However, I'm kind of hoping I get into a school with more location flexibility (Cornell, GW, Vandy, etc).  You never though, the right amount of scholarship money comes and along and I go visit the school and dig it a lot.  Anything can happen.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 05:56:51 PM »
thanks for the info y'all!  Philly seems like a place I could hang for a long time.  However, I'm kind of hoping I get into a school with more location flexibility (Cornell, GW, Vandy, etc).  You never though, the right amount of scholarship money comes and along and I go visit the school and dig it a lot.  Anything can happen.

I am totally thrilled to be going to Temple.  I bugged the Admissions Office a couple of times after I submitted my app (very nicely) and asked about campus safety, etc. because they have to do so much to overcome their rep, and if I could check it out the campus on a tour or something (I was really hoping for an informal chance to meet a member of the Adcom)... They were wonderful to talk to- but did not fall for my ploy- and everyone else that I talked to, who went there, cannot seem to rave enough!  Its reputation has been flying to the top too in the past few years, and it is like the 25th most competitive school to get into in the US (according to the dean).  Must be because becoming a lawyer is like in the water in Philadelphia (hey, you have to admit, it is an exciting place with the Constitution Center and the Liberty Bell, etc.- it breeds lawywers). If you are in, you should check out everything at the open house on March 19th.   

avalanchefan

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 03:39:41 PM »
I just got the acceptance letter today.  Yay!  :)

JDubs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 03:46:06 PM »

congrats!  where do they rank with you?

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 03:56:26 PM »
congrats!

avalanchefan

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 04:12:37 PM »

congrats!  where do they rank with you?

Thanks.I will have to do more research, but it is the best school (at least by rank) that I have been accepted to so far.

Faure

• Meow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 05:43:30 PM »
Congratulations on getting into Temple. One of the best things about Temple is that the "Broad Street" subway line stops right in front of the Law School. You can live in Center Citty, a much nicer area, and have a very easy commute to campus. Also, you could live in West Philadelphia(where Penn is) and take the R3 train. Hope to see you at Beasley!