Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are a Candian's chances?  (Read 1057 times)

Payne

• View Profile
    • Email
What are a Candian's chances?
« on: February 23, 2005, 12:50:46 PM »
Hi, just wonder for all of those who applied to T20 Law School in the US, what are the chances of getting in a school such as Harvard, Stanford, Yale, etc?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are a Candian's chances?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 01:36:55 PM »
I'm not really sure what you mean...

Most of the schools (especially the top ones like harvard and yale), say they evaluate international students the same as domestic students.

Payne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 01:44:51 PM »
I thought their might be different criteria for out of state? What makes a competitive candidate? Hey Cheeks, if you head to school in the States are what happens if you don't recieve a work visa, or does grading from a t10 school mean that you will be automatically hired. I would like to apply in the U.S., but I don't know enough about labor relations and work visa, etc.

Payne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 01:47:33 PM »
Also, I have attended a couple of different school, is there any way to calcuate my gpa the way a ls would see it, like a gpa calulator, thanks

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 01:56:10 PM »
as far as i know, working in the states really isn't a problem what-so-ever.  I've heard this from several sources.  Lawyers are protected under NAFTA as well, so you can't be denied a work premit.

To calculate your GPA, change all your letter grades to the GPA scale.  A+=4.33; A=4.00; A=3.67; b+=3.33 ... and so on... then add up all your GPA scores and divide by the number of courses.  Make sure to account for credit hours (if one courses was a year long say).  You can find info on how to do this on the web...

Payne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 02:32:18 PM »
One of the schools I attended only had A, B, or C. etc; no plus' or minus', an A=91-100, big range I know, do I just use the top score allowed and credit hours? do you know of a link? why are they out of 4.33? drives me nuts, just like uvic.