Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Direction?  (Read 2649 times)

NeilS

• Law School or Bust!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Direction?
« on: November 26, 2002, 06:35:32 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm still working on my undergrad, and I should be done with it in the Summer of '04. I plan on going straight into law school thereafter, and it will start that Fall. I got all that worked out with my university, and I'll actually be going to law school before I walk with my graduating class! haha!

Anyhoo, I'm a fulltime daddy/hubby, worker-bee, and student. I'll be attending law school during the nights, which is the same way I've been doing it for a couple of years (kind-of used to it, now). The school calls us "non-traditional students" part time; but, FAFSA sees us as fulltime, so I'm still able to get the full loan quals (for graduate work) of $18,500/year. I believe that I have the administrateve stuff down to a science now. "BUT," here's the problem...

I've read through many of the websites, recommended by this board, and my prelaw peers. I don't see the big deal. I guess this question focuses around the LSAT. I'm a minority <only in this country =)>, so I'm told that my LSAT score doesn't have to be as high where I'm applying (www.law.capital.edu). I think I can get away with a mid-140's score...I'm not 100% sure, though. I "want" <emphasis added> to get a 160+, and I was wondering what any of you have done to achieve this? Do those books, courses, and pretests really work? If so, please explain your situation, please.

Thanks in advance! Just to let you know, I'm EXTREMELY stoked about law school! I'll be the first person in my family to attain a degree of any nature! So, going this far in my educational pursuits really enthralls me, my family, and all my "thuggy" friends from back home! haha! I plan on going all the way to LL.M. level, unless someone here convinces me otherwise!  =)

Again, thank you!
Neil Seefeldt
Dublin, Ohio

lars

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Direction?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 08:34:54 AM »
I will be taking LSAT in T minus 10 days....so I don't know if I can say if something has "worked" or not until I get my results.  I went to a wkend LSAT course, then have ordered "10 REAL LSATS" and also LOGIC GAMES BIBLE. Those are my study aids.  As for your score, even if you only need a 140, I'd challenge myself to do the best you can regardless.  The better your score, the easier it will be for admittance, and possibly $$ from various schools.  Good luck!

NeilS

• Law School or Bust!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 08:37:34 AM »
Well, I didn't mean to come off as cocky. I just know that a 140 is not hard to get. I really want to clear a 160, as a personal goal.

Please let me know how you do! If you don't mind stating. If you do well, I'll do the best I can to study. Examples mean a lot to me, since I'm poor and can't afford too much "prep" stuff.

Cheers!

lars

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 09:04:37 AM »
I'll definitely post my number when I get it. There are a lot of self-studiers out there, so I'm sure you'll do just fine w/out forking out big bucks for study material & prep courses.  If you are poor, you might even qualify for some type of waiver through LSAC, so you don't have to pay the $100 just to sit for the test.  You are doing well by planning this far ahead. Are you going to apply for Fall '04?

Oh, you might want to check out "Nontrad.law," it's another board, and "Review.com"...but the latter is somewhat irrelavant. Sometimes there is a good post, but you really have to "filter through" a lot of the crap.

anonymous35

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2002, 08:24:08 AM »
If you use the right study aids and study seriously, you can do very well without a prep class.  However, if you are not self-motivated and need a lot of hand holding, then definitely take the prep class.  If you are poor and can't afford the study materials, I'll be happy to send you mine for free, you'd just have to pay the shipping costs.  I am a first year law student, and I scored over 160 on the LSAT last year by studying on my own, despite the fact that I am not a native speaker of English.  My point is that anything can be done if you work hard at it.  If you want the book(s), post your e-mail address and I will contact you for address info.  Good Luck!  

NeilS

• Law School or Bust!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2002, 10:36:50 AM »
If you use the right study aids and study seriously, you can do very well without a prep class.  However, if you are not self-motivated and need a lot of hand holding, then definitely take the prep class.  If you are poor and can't afford the study materials, I'll be happy to send you mine for free, you'd just have to pay the shipping costs.  I am a first year law student, and I scored over 160 on the LSAT last year by studying on my own, despite the fact that I am not a native speaker of English.  My point is that anything can be done if you work hard at it.  If you want the book(s), post your e-mail address and I will contact you for address info.  Good Luck!  

I would be EXTREMELY in debted to you if you could do that for me. Please email me at nseefeldt@hotmail.com, and we can work out the shipping arrangements!

I will have to get back with you tomorrow, though. I'm in school tonight. Thank you soooooooo much!  ;D

djmystical

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2002, 11:36:10 AM »
OK.  I will e-mail you and I'm sure we can work it out.