Law School Discussion

UCLA Disability Letter? Did anyone get this?

NothingSpecial

UCLA Disability Letter? Did anyone get this?
« on: February 22, 2005, 09:42:02 PM »
Hi - did anyone who applied to UCLA, who has a disability, get a letter from a student disability group?  I had mentioned in passing something, and now this committee has asked me to submit an essay, and they will provide some sort of recommendation on the app.

Does anyone have any insight into this, and what I should do.  I also mentioned that I have treated the disability and will not be seeking any special accomodation in Law school...

any help would be great. Thanks!

Re: UCLA Disability Letter? Did anyone get this?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 10:46:59 PM »
I mentioned something briefly in the application, too. I was surprised when I got that letter. Although I certainly don't think of myself as disabled when compared with someone who can't walk or is blind, I just told them what they asked for in an essay. I don't imagine it can hurt your chances, so it can only help.

Javert

• Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 10:54:48 PM »
I got the letter too (I have dyspraxia). I basically wrote back and said, "Thanks to technology, it's not a problem. Which is part of my motivation for studying cyberlaw.". I got in. :).

Javert

• Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 11:08:12 PM »
^

Somebody sent me a PM asking a few questions, and I'll just answer them here. :).

Dyspraxia is a condition that messes with the organizational centers of the mind. The upshot is that I have small motor skills (difficulty performing fine tasks such as writing, tying shoes, etc.), coupled with ADD like symptoms. I actually think it's a pretty cool thing to have, since I can focus on ten things at once. But that's beside the point. There's a lot more to it; you can just google if you like. My case is somewhat mild.

The only accomodation I had on the day of the LSAT was the ability to type my writing sample. Since the writing sample is basically irrelevant, I'm on a level playing field with everybody else. I have no idea how schools look on other accomodations.

The letter UCLA asks you to write is a good thing. It creates another party to advocate for your admission. Worst case scenario, the disability committee doesn't like you; however, I can't imagine a no vote from a student group is going to ding you.

If you apply to UCLA next year and indicate a disability, I'd suggest having this letter handy. They ask four questions; I don't remember what they are any longer, because I got the information months ago.