Law School Discussion

Emory Law?

Emory Law?
« on: February 22, 2005, 06:28:19 PM »
Recently accepted at Emory LS. I visited and liked it alot. School and students seemed fine; Atlanta seems fun; its ranked well by USNEWS et al. The only "problem": I am from DC originally and looking to head back there (or up to NY) to do BIGLAW after graduation. Emory seems well regarded generally as a school, especially in the "southeast". My question: Is Emory Law's repuation sufficiently "national" to place me into a good BIGLAW job in either DC or NY? Does its reach extend far enough out of the deep/mid south?

Re: Emory Law?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 06:37:22 PM »
It depends what you're comparing it to.  Compare it to a Top-14 school and the answer would be a resounding 'no'.  If you really want to practice in DC/NY and you get into a comprable school in the NY/DC area, your best bet would be to go the NY/DC school over Emory.  Now, if you only get into a much lower-ranked NY/DC school or are particularly gung-ho about Emory, it may be a crapshoot.  For the majority of "biglaw" firms, popular opinion seems to imply that you need to either go to a Top-14 school or a school in the area.  It's not impossible, however - but without on-campus interviews and strong alumni network, you may find the endevour difficult.  Best of luck.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 06:38:45 PM »
congrats.  im also from dc, want to come back here, and in at emory.  i believe desi, who goes there, said that it does well in dc.  i also have a friend from emory who works at a firm here, although its not biglaw.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 10:19:03 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Doubledown Trent (and anyone else) you mention you are in at Emory, are you considering attending? Pros and Cons, in your view, especially if you are also looking to go back to DC. What others are you considering? I'd appreciate your thoughts...

F05HOPEFUL

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 10:21:52 PM »
Emory places really well in NYC, not sure about DC.  I work in BIGLAW as a paralegal in atlanta.  Alot of attorneys are from Emory, but many, many of their classmates went up to NYC after grad. HTH

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 10:45:53 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Doubledown Trent (and anyone else) you mention you are in at Emory, are you considering attending? Pros and Cons, in your view, especially if you are also looking to go back to DC. What others are you considering? I'd appreciate your thoughts...

I haven't heard back from all my schools yet, but I'd take GW, Mason (money and location), and maybe even Maryland (a lot cheaper) over Emory.  I can't really see a lot of cons to Emory besides the cost.  I'm pretty confident that I can get good opportunities here in DC if I do decently there.