Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Black Alternative/Metal/Punk Fan Thread  (Read 4232 times)

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Alternative/Metal/Punk Fan Thread
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 11:23:17 AM »
Guess who's back, back again, Mobell's back tell a friend... :P

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 03:10:54 PM »
I look forward to deleting this thread. It sucks, and I never want to see anything liks this again on blsd.  :(

Oh really?! I seriously hope you're joking...

Is it really that difficult for you to envision black people listening to genres outside of hip-hop?

Guess this thread doesn't conform to your oh-so-exhalted idea of what "black" is supposed to be. Why isn't that in the least bit suprising? *Gasp* I must be a traitor to my race if I dare to listen to, say, Metallica instead of the newest tripe from "Slim Thug" or whatever other semiliterate, "gangsta'-wannabes" are polluting the charts, right?  >:(

Any-f-ing-ways...
punk music is for losers. let's be serious.

Couldn't agree more, I just had to add it to be comprehensive. Punk's newest mutation into "emo" is far more disturbing in its relentless capacity to "suck ass". ;D
So far jlf, there are a lot of bands you listed that I hadn't heard of, or had only heard mentioned. I'll have to abuse my iTunes account and check em' out.

"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 06:40:50 PM »
I look forward to deleting this thread. It sucks, and I never want to see anything liks this again on blsd.  :(

Oh really?! I seriously hope you're joking...

Is it really that difficult for you to envision black people listening to genres outside of hip-hop?

Guess this thread doesn't conform to your oh-so-exhalted idea of what "black" is supposed to be. Why isn't that in the least bit suprising? *Gasp* I must be a traitor to my race if I dare to listen to, say, Metallica instead of the newest tripe from "Slim Thug" or whatever other semiliterate, "gangsta'-wannabes" are polluting the charts, right?  >:(

Any-f-ing-ways...
punk music is for losers. let's be serious.

Couldn't agree more, I just had to add it to be comprehensive. Punk's newest mutation into "emo" is far more disturbing in its relentless capacity to "suck ass". ;D
So far jlf, there are a lot of bands you listed that I hadn't heard of, or had only heard mentioned. I'll have to abuse my iTunes account and check em' out.

Dude, bring it down.. do you honestly think he listens to some lame "gangsta rap"?? I don't know what your preconceived notions are about the brothas on this board- more specifically HBCU...but I think that if you have a problem, then you need to address it privately. He thinks the topic is lame...that's it that's all..
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

shiveringjenny

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2005, 08:08:08 PM »
you know what i really like to listen to but is rare?
like, rap with some white chick singing the hook. but i can only think of, like 2.5 songs like this off the top of my head-- "Country Livin'" by Goodie Mob featuring Esthero, "Stan" by Eminem (but that doesn't really count since a)she's just singing the chorus from her own song, "Thank You" and b)Eminem doesn't ever count for anything in my book and, my personal favorite, "Never" by Overseer.

there needs to be more music like this. jlf demands it.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2005, 08:15:09 PM »
like, rap with some white chick singing the hook. but i can only think of, like 2.5 songs like this off the top of my head-- "Country Livin'" by Goodie Mob featuring Esthero, "Stan" by Eminem (but that doesn't really count since a)she's just singing the chorus from her own song, "Thank You" and b)Eminem doesn't ever count for anything in my book and, my personal favorite, "Never" by Overseer.

Black Eyed Peas.

That chick Fergie is white right?
Look to the left -- Look to the right

shiveringjenny

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2005, 08:47:30 PM »

Black Eyed Peas.

yeah, but she's not singing right. she's trying so hard to be ethnic like the rest of the guys. she sings like a chick who's pretending to be black. she even 'raps' in songs.
i'm talking about a more traditionally white chick singer sound. i'm looking for the ethereal quality that you don't get from all these wanna be gospel singers and the like. i don't want christina aguilera or some bad pop star. i want that chick from garbage or, you know, sarah mclachlan or some *&^% like that.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2005, 09:05:43 PM »

Black Eyed Peas.

yeah, but she's not singing right. she's trying so hard to be ethnic like the rest of the guys. she sings like a chick who's pretending to be black. she even 'raps' in songs.
i'm talking about a more traditionally white chick singer sound. i'm looking for the ethereal quality that you don't get from all these wanna be gospel singers and the like. i don't want christina aguilera or some bad pop star. i want that chick from garbage or, you know, sarah mclachlan or some sh*t like that.

ah
Look to the left -- Look to the right

shiveringjenny

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 08:14:32 PM »
current song on repeat in iTunes: "Cells" by the Servants. This *&^% is awesome. It's the song from the Sin City trailer, and me and the guy who lives across the hall have been playing this nonstop for the past week. good stuff.

bgtymr

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2005, 11:31:33 PM »
Hello, all
Very interesting thread,

I personally love, love love:    Bjork

I saw Radiohead live last year and Prince live last year. If I make it to a Bjork concert, I will feel complete.

I also really enjoy Portishead, Morcheeba, and Smashing Pumpkins,

I've been listening to Jamiroquai since 8th grade (I'm 21)...although I did take a long break after their 4th album and have yet to return with the same enthusiasm

Other random music:
I like 4 songs by Animal Collective, and 5 songs by Atari Teenage Riot, and 2 songs by Calexico (these groups haven't received my official stamp of approval, but they have fun stuff )

I go through phases with my music and am in my Nina Simone phase, but am always looking for something different....
I could go on, and on

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 03:06:08 AM »
Hello, all
Very interesting thread,

I personally love, love love:    Bjork

I saw Radiohead live last year and Prince live last year. If I make it to a Bjork concert, I will feel complete.

I also really enjoy Portishead, Morcheeba, and Smashing Pumpkins,

I've been listening to Jamiroquai since 8th grade (I'm 21)...although I did take a long break after their 4th album and have yet to return with the same enthusiasm

Other random music:
I like 4 songs by Animal Collective, and 5 songs by Atari Teenage Riot, and 2 songs by Calexico (these groups haven't received my official stamp of approval, but they have fun stuff )

I go through phases with my music and am in my Nina Simone phase, but am always looking for something different....
I could go on, and on

A Morcheeba fan? I didnt know this was that kind of thread. Morcheeba "Charango" is one of my favorite albums. I like stuff like downtempo/lo-fi. Some Prefuse 73/Tosca/Bonobo/Caural/Amon Tobin/Diplo/Four Tet.