Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: falsifying race  (Read 4661 times)

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: falsifying race
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2005, 04:50:55 PM »
I think this whole Affirmative Action is a pile of sh*t!  It's insulting to the minorities (I'd hope)..and it's unfair to the majority.

What's insulting the minorities is your first post assuming that a black person you'd compete with would have lower numbers.

SkullTatt

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2005, 06:50:14 PM »
Exactly, that pisses me off too. Not so much the OP, but just in general. You cannot (and should not) assume that all black people (or whatever race you choose) have low numbers and were admitted by AA. That is not true, and it is not fair. If I were a black person with good grades and good test scores, I would be royally pissed to have everyone looking at me like I was let into a school only because I am black.

And though I personally am for AA because I think it is still necesary in our current society, that is one of the major arguments against it, that it winds up discounting the achievement of all minorities since there is no way to differentiate the ones who were admitted due to AA versus the ones who were admitted based upon their own accomplishments.

SkullTatt

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2005, 06:22:14 AM »
I don't think we can eliminate the phrase "due to AA" since people are getting admitted with substandard GPA's and test scores... due to AA.

carabinero

• View Profile
    • My LSN Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2005, 07:40:06 AM »
Ive thought about this one since I have blonde hair, blue eyes, and light skin. Both of my parents are from Argentina, one immigrated, one born here, but both are full Argentine. Another issue is my name. I have a VERY hispanic surname, and a VERY non-hispanic first name. There are a lot of hispanics in south america with names like mine for the same reason my name is what it is: doctors. I was born here in the U.S. but the common practice that determines the names of a lot of people I know still applied here, which is to say, I have the first name of the doctor who delivered me. My father, the one born in Argentina, is dead, and I have no documentation for any part of him really. Basically, I am some blonde hair blue eyed kid with no proof of being hispanic other than my surname and the fact I speak castillian. Obviously I will be checking hispanic because that is what I am, but I really dont have any way to prove it. A lot of us Argentines are light because of our Italian heritage. My family can be traced back to northern Italy rather than southern, which is why we are so light. So technically you could say my looks are indicative, but really they arent. So what about a black person who has no proof? No documentation like me, no way to prove anything. Are they going to accept the looks in that case and not mine? I am not worried since I am not falsifying anything nor do i have any doubt as to which box to check, but the whole process of punitive bar action against people lying about race seems pretty silly when really, we can only prove as much as they let us. Someone could be born in Mexico and be Swedish so the bar considers them white, and someone born in Minnesota Mexican and be considered Mexican. I would really like to know of any cases in which punitive action was sought by the aba. I just dont see how anything could ever be proven, short of an admission of blatant deception. I would really support the "check no box" idea that one poster brought up, but we humans just arent that coordinated.