Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: falsifying race  (Read 4631 times)

matt1234

• View Profile
    • Email
falsifying race
« on: February 22, 2005, 07:46:55 PM »
I have an odd question for anyone on the forum. How can someone get caught for falsifying their race on an application. I'm sure there are many people of minority descent who do not have any proof other than their word and are subsequently admitted to many schools as a result. While I haven't done this on any of my applications, I entertained the idea, but just checked caucasian/white out of fear that I would get a call one day asking for proof of some sort.

Also, I can claim I am of middle eastern descent with proof, but I dont know if this is an underrepresented class of minorities in law schools. Does anyone know otherwise?

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
Re: falsifying race
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 07:54:35 PM »
I don't know the answer to your question...but I find it so so sad that we are entertaining the thought of falsifying our race to compete against people with lower #s..   I tried to shed the "whiteness" too .. but sucked it up and decided not to.

saaaad.

LordofLight

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 08:01:34 PM »
If you have a "black" grandmother but look white, are you black?

What if your mother is black, but very lightskinned, so you basically look white? Are you black or white?

It's all a bunch of bull.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 08:04:47 PM »
I would hope the minority people who actually do benefit from this BS are pissed off too.  It's pretty much saying "oh you silly people..we know you're not good enough to get in here on your #s.....so we'll cut you some slack" 

that's bloody insulting!!  ok now i'm mad

the REAL desi

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 08:14:22 PM »
OP:  have you heard of the rules and ethics committee of the state bar?  oh, you'll have to provide them a photocopy of your law school application.   ;)  and if they think you're BS'ng something, they'll ask for proof or something.  my blond hair blue eyed friend keeps her native american card in a safety deposit box so that she won't lose it (and will have it if the bar asks for it)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 08:27:05 PM »
it is a shame isn't it? tsk..tsk..tsk..
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 08:33:25 PM »
I do not advice anyone to lie. However, Michigan's application (and I believe others are similar) did not ask what race you are but what racial/ethnic group do you best identify with. Based on the wording it would be impossible for them to say anything, no matter what you marked. Aside from being immoral, you will also put yourself on the bad side of a lot of people (mainly the administration) which can always come to bite you.
3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn

mercutio_13

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 10:51:09 PM »
I am one quarter Native American, which qualifies me under our government regulations as a minority.  I marked caucasian on my apps.

It makes me sick at my stomach when people abuse their heritage to get a leg up on the competition.

That's just pathetic.

Mark what you are.  Not what you think will give you an edge.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 10:54:51 PM »
I am a Hungarian American. Now THERE'S a URM if ever there was one... No check-boxes for it, though.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 10:56:13 PM »
I think this whole Affirmative Action is a pile of sh*t!  It's insulting to the minorities (I'd hope)..and it's unfair to the majority.