Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: falsifying race  (Read 4592 times)

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: falsifying race
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 12:52:31 PM »
I'm a white guy and didn't check the race box on any of my apps. Why would I? I encourage others to do the same and would like to see this become standard practice.

But, to address the topic...

It would, indeed, be a bad idea to lie in any way on a LS app, since the state bar will almost certainly find out. But, consider the tag "Native American". I am a native of America. Why should I not check THAT box? For that matter, why should a black person check the "African American" box? She, also, is likely a native of America. These are infantile, worthless labels.

sita

• AOL Instant Messenger - sita25p
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2005, 01:01:22 PM »
I was conflicted about this as well.  My mother is panamanian and my father American.  Most applications for anything say "white, non-hispanic" or hispanic.  I always check hispanic because the first is certainly not true.  Also, I identity with my hispanic side of the family more.  I don't think any of this is about edge or whatever.  In my mind I am answering the question as it is true for me.  In this world, however, very few people are "purely" anything. I someone comes from a black parent and a white parent (like my nephew) I think he can put whatever he wants as race/ethnicity.  Either white or black would be true.  Color of hair, skin, eyes, doesn't matter at all as far as I am concerned.

lurk-tastic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 09:35:43 PM »
Note to LaneSwerver on Soul Man: C. Thomas Howell took the bronzing pills to qualify for the only remaining scholarship, not to be admitted.  He already had a spot in the class.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2005, 09:40:15 PM »
Note to LaneSwerver on Soul Man: C. Thomas Howell took the bronzing pills to qualify for the only remaining scholarship, not to be admitted.  He already had a spot in the class.

So YOU'RE the other person who's seen the movie!

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2005, 12:20:37 AM »
Real talk KappaOne :)
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2005, 03:05:32 AM »
I haven't posted before, only read LSD, but I wanted to respond to lord of light's questions.

"If you have a "black" grandmother but look white, are you black?

What if your mother is black, but very lightskinned, so you basically look white? Are you black or white?

It's all a bunch of bull."

It happens that your "hypotheticals" describe my family.
*I am biracial, black mother, white father. I consider myself BOTH black and white.

*My daughter has a black grandmother and a "very light skinned" mother but "looks white" - that does NOT make her white. No, it doesn't make her black either, she is multiracial. She takes offense to the presumption that she is white because that denies a part of her heritage.

IMO, growing up mixed race is far, far, different than being white, no matter how you look.

As for what box to check on applications, I believe people should check how they define themselves, in my case "other."

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

UrbAnprOphEt1200

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2005, 10:33:35 AM »
The definition of race for Hispanics can be especially subjective.  It seems to be more of a matter of ethnic origin than whatever concentration of blood is in your veins. 

Since this subject is frequently brought up on this board I'll share the definition from the Census Dept.:

In accordance with the Office of Management and Budget definition of ethnicity, the Census Bureau provides data for the basic categories in the OMB standards: Hispanic or Latino and Not Hispanic or Latino. In general, the Census Bureau defines ethnicity or origin as the heritage, nationality group, lineage, or country of birth of the person or the person 's parents or ancestors before their arrival in the United States. People who identify their origin as Spanish, Hispanic, or Latino may be of any race.

the full page is here if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2001/raceqandas.html

That being said, I think people need to really evaluate themselves and just be honest when it comes to "checking the box".

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2005, 12:55:05 PM »

So YOU'RE the other person who's seen the movie!
I love that movie
3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn

psr13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Isn't my niece adorable?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2005, 11:03:08 PM »
I didn't like the movie. I found it way too boring.
"What's with today, today?"
-Lucas from "Empire Records"

SkullTatt

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2005, 03:58:08 PM »
I think people should stop fixating on the URM thing and admissions. If you feel you need a leg up, do one of the many things you can do to get a leg up. Volunteer. Get a master's degree. Write a better personal statement or study harder in undergrad or whatever.

But mainly it boils down to... don't put anything on that application that you wouldn't feel comfortable explaining to a board of ABA examiners when you have completed law school and it's time to be admitted to the bar. They may have your law school app in front of them, and not only that, but can look at other documents totally outside academia and see how you have identified your race. If you look Swedish and your law school app is the only place you have put "URM", I would not want to be you.