Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Buffalo email.....  (Read 475 times)

othius

• View Profile
Buffalo email.....
« on: February 22, 2005, 06:41:54 PM »
Alright. So I called UB the other day to ask about my status since they don't fancy returning emails. This morning I get an email saying that a decision was just made on my file and that a letter was being sent as the email was written. Ok, cool. I should hear in the next 10 days or so. Great.

So this is my thought process. If the decision were favorable, they'd probably say so in the email. If I was being denied they would just wait for the mail to arrive. Probably wouldn't tell me waitlisted via email either.

Any thoughts?

thx

WOMBAT

Re: Buffalo email.....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 07:03:48 PM »
Hey Oth, hope all is well.

I am almost 100% confident that UB (in addition to some other schools) never says anything over the phone and/or email.

I can't remember where I read this - I am pretty sure it was in one of their emails (which I, of course, deleted).
Do you have their "Complete" email?

I wouldn't read into it at all.

Also, if you get waitlisted - things are looking decent. It is very early in their cycle and they admit right up to the first week of school.

My friend, who is 3l and also from Rochester, found out a week before and had to commute until she found an apt.

Keep us UB freaks posted.

WOMBAT

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 07:07:53 PM »
Wait a minute,

I think I remember reading that someone was notified via email for an acceptance.

I gotta look for that. Hold on...

WOMBAT

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 07:13:25 PM »
Yeah, it was SWB05 and I see you've already been there.

So I'm wrong. Sorry about that.

I think Kevdog received a package via snailmail. It sounds like there may be some strategy here (this is all 100% speculation):

Kevdog = target student (send package)
SWB05 = most likely on to better school (email, save some money)
Wombat = if we have room, one letter

I would normally guess Waitlist or Deny, but you live in Japan, so that complicates things.

I still say don't read into it.

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 07:16:05 PM »
Wombat,

Yesterday someone was posting who found out via email, but it's the only person I've heard of hearing via email. I'm still holding out hope, but we'll see. Regardless of the decision from UB, Va Beach is looking nicer all the time. ;)

I wish I were still getting the mail in Rochester... it's much quicker to Ra-cha-cha than Japan!

Yep.. (just read your most recent) I'm not reading too much into it, but as a former admissions coordinator for a graduate program... I've got a pretty good idea how these things go. That being said, I have no clue really.

:)

WOMBAT

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 07:27:54 PM »
Ra-cha-cha

That's funny. Rochesterians have a love/hate relationship like no other city.
This winter has SUCKED. You aren't missing much. But then again, you probably, still, in some unexplainable way, miss Rochester. I'm on the flipside, I'm ready to bolt again.

I did a little more thinking while walking the dog, my thinking (again 100% speculation) is that you will be waitlisted. Why else would they send a letter to Japan? You'll need to fill out the response and mail it back in with a Benjamin  :D

The question is: Has anyone been denied UB via email?

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 07:37:28 PM »
Getting up early in the bone-freezing cold to shovel yet another 10 inches of snow... miss that? For some unexplicable reason: Yes.

Now my wife... she's not missing Rochester at all. As she's from Ottawa, Canada and has had freezing cold winters her whole life. When I first mentioned Buffalo she basically laughed... so did I. Now, we're actually hoping it works out... go figure.

I'm thinking it's probably a waitlist to be honest with you. I'm not sure what exactly I think about that as we need to prepare to move back, etc. Though if NY is where we end up, teaching jobs aren't posted until July/August anyhow (my wife's a teacher).

Eitherway, the waiting will continue for a while longer.... I'm prepared for the worst and expecting it. Anything better is gravy.

WOMBAT

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 08:00:08 PM »
Hey, let's hope it's an acceptance. If there is one theme that keeps repeating here is that the admissions game is hard to pin down. Anything goes. I apologize for fueling your anxiety. I shoulda kept my mouth shut!

Just for safety's sake your wife should get on the radar in Buffalo. At the school I work at now, we have about 20 applications from 100% CERTIFIED teachers for each teaching position available. :o
And the hiring season is months away.

Buffalo (the city) is getting crushed, even more so than Rochester.
Check http://www.buffalo.com

Everyday there is another article about layoffs, job loss, shrinkage, etc.

Great place to go to school, but it's really tight there right now. My friend's father is an electrical engineer (20+ years exp.) and he was laid-off by Kodak. He was re-hired and laid-off again. He took a new job in Buffalo and was just laid-off from that job. He finally found a job in North Carolina.

There are plenty of Rochester jokes, but these two are so damn true:

Rochester has two seasons: Winter and construction

You know you're from Rochester when all of your friends have moved to North Carolina (or Florida).

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 08:27:10 PM »
No worries, you haven't fueled my anxiety a bit. I rather like talking about these things.

Yeah, we've been keeping up on the teaching game in WNY and it's been interesting. My wife's former school might be closed at the end of the year and Buffalo is looking at closing a few schools too. Though the competition is pretty strong, she's in pretty good shape. Permanent certification in Pre K-6 and Sped K-12 with and M.Ed. in Sped. I think she'll be fine for finding work but yeah, we're getting things started. She just updated her resume and we're now lurking for postings.

Sadly about Rochester jokes, the construction bit is starting to not be so true. Road construction, yes. New buildings... not seen a crane in Rochester in forever. Right now, out of my 5th floor classroom, I can count 10-15 cranes.... I think Rochester and Buffalo are great areas but a lot needs to be done to revive them. Here's to hoping it happens!