Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Houston  (Read 2166 times)

biotechey

• View Profile
Houston
« on: February 22, 2005, 05:50:58 PM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=biotechIPlaw

i really wanted to get in there, how often do people got off of waitlists??

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Houston
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 09:50:17 PM »
What is it with UH and the hate for 158s? I just don't get it.

My completely unfounded opinion would be that a lot of people get off the waitlist because UH is competing with Baylor, SMU and UT. It seems like the people who apply to TX schools want to stay in TX and apply to all of them, so I'm sure a lot of people will be choosing Baylor and UT over UH. And honestly, this is really just a guess.

shanmac00

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 12:13:52 PM »
I am in the same boat, also waitlisted.  I am on the part-time waitlist, any thoughts on whether or not that list is smaller or bigger than the list for the regular program?

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 03:29:53 PM »
say  Hello to another 158er who'se waitlisted at Houston.  And I doubt people would pick Baylor over UH for 3 reasons:

1. UH is cheaper
2. UH is regarded equally well if not better in TX
3. UH is not located in Waco

So UH is really the #2 school here in TX...the competition is stiff...and I'm not expecting to get off the WL.  So fellow 158ers, lets not get our hopes up too high. 

Texan29

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech Law Bound!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 04:13:24 PM »
say  Hello to another 158er who'se waitlisted at Houston.  And I doubt people would pick Baylor over UH for 3 reasons:

1. UH is cheaper

So UH is really the #2 school here in TX...the competition is stiff...and I'm not expecting to get off the WL.  So fellow 158ers, lets not get our hopes up too high. 

I'd beg to differ, UH is the #3 school, right behind SMU. I think its been fully documented even by USNWR that SMU is stronger all around then UH, but I do agree that UH is probably better for most people than Baylor!
Texas Tech Law: We don't just pass the bar, we practically live there!

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 04:15:21 PM »
you're right.  I completely forgot SMU.  But again, SMU is so much more expensive..and you don't really get much more bang for your buck.  I bet more people apply to (and want to go to) UH than SMU simply due to finances.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 04:25:06 PM »
Don't forget Texas Southern...everyone always forgets them when they talk about Houston schools!

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 09:49:03 PM »
So if they're not yield-protecting you 158-ers, what gives?

where2g0

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 05:36:42 PM »

1. UH is cheaper

Yes, but have you been on campus.  If you make it to campus without getting capped, the building itself has all the comforts of an autobody shop.  Nothing but a dank concrete hole.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 05:39:22 PM »

1. UH is cheaper

Yes, but have you been on campus.  If you make it to campus without getting capped, the building itself has all the comforts of an autobody shop.  Nothing but a dank concrete hole.

Yeah I heard that!  Mmm I want your avatar, it's making me salivate