Law School Discussion

Berkeley vs. BYU

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
Re: Berkeley vs. BYU
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 12:53:25 AM »
Nothing against BYU, seems to be a good LS, but unless you plan on practicing in Salt Lake City, you have to go to Berkeley. No question.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 09:25:44 AM »

I don't know if I've been swayed.  I think I was pretty much convinced already to go to Boalt.  All of you helped reaffirm me in my views.  Maybe we'll see each other if you make it out to Visit Day. 

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 09:44:56 AM »
Boalt - no question. I'm finishing my UG here at BYU, have enjoyed it while it lasted, and cannot wait to leave. You would be in for a massive culture shock if you came here to BYU. You're right, it does have a strong alumni network, but that's mainly a function of being Mormon. As you're not Mormon (I am, and happily so, btw), you're not likely to benefit as much from the alumni network.

There are some great professors there, but BYU's mission is specifically to help Mormons. You'll likely not like the administration, and you'll be subject to "missionary" efforts on a weekly basis (at minimum).

Bottom line: it'd be good for you to be in an intellectually hostile environment - but join the Bush administration or move to the South for that. BYU, frankly, isn't for you.