Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Utah or BYU  (Read 939 times)

Larry Bird

• View Profile
Utah or BYU
« on: February 22, 2005, 01:57:11 PM »
I've been accepted at both Utah and BYU, my top two choices, and I'm having a difficult time deciding between the two.  Any suggestions?

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Utah or BYU
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 02:10:05 PM »
You really don't have a preference? You're kidding, right? Salt Lake (cosmopolitan) v. Provo ("Happy Valley")? Rankings (BYU is in top 50)? Red v. Blue? C'mon!

Would you really give much weight in this decision to what people on a message board say?

Here's what I say. Go to BYU. Call UofU and tell them to give your slot to my friend MWitterone (or whatever name she's using these days)!

Byronic Hero

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 02:20:33 PM »
Go to BYU.

1.)  Their reputation is better.  (Utah has been sliding in the rankings and are on the verge of dropping out of the top tier.)
2.)  Their faculty is better.
3.)  Their facilities are better.
4.)  It's cheaper.
5.)  Job placement is better.

I may be a little biased since I went to BYU; however, I do believe that BYU is the better choice.  I do know that the job market in Utah is a bit saturated and coming out of BYU gives you an advantage.  By the way, here's a link to a discussion on the U that I found interesting.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/students/index.php/topic,1304.0.html

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=ByronicHero

In:  Ohio State, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Capital, UNLV and Oklahoma.
Out: W&L
Waitlisted: IU-Bloomington, Utah, W&M
Pending:  Case Western

Larry Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 02:21:32 PM »
I'm actually leaning towards Utah for a number of reasons (some of which you mentioned).  My only hang up is that BYU is ranked higher than Utah and a JD from the Y seems to transport easier to larger markets (outside of Utah/Mountain West).  I'd prefer to stay here, but the option to go elsewhere would be nice.

No, I wouldn't base my decision on a message board, I'm just trying to see what people think.

Larry Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 02:29:21 PM »
Thanks for the input Byronic.  Did you do your UG and JD at BYU?  

Byronic Hero

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 02:37:36 PM »
No, I received my bachelor's degree and master's degree from BYU.  However, I'm very familiar with the law school.  The only reason I didn't apply there is because I wanted to go to law school in the midwest and BYU would have been a reach for me.  I applied to Utah only as a safety, but I never had any real intentions of going.  BYU is an outstanding school and very well-respected nationally.  The fact that you were accepted there means that your numbers are very good.  Too good to settle on Utah.  JMO.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=ByronicHero

In:  Ohio State, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Capital, UNLV and Oklahoma.
Out: W&L
Waitlisted: IU-Bloomington, Utah, W&M
Pending:  Case Western

Larry Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 02:43:16 PM »
Great to hear the Larry Bird legacy hasn't been forgotten.  Watching the 3-point contest this weekend reminded me of the glory days when Bird would win without even taking off his warm-up jacket.  What has happened to the NBA?

Thanks for the input, GMULaw.  I had read your posts regarding your summer experience at Utah on another thread and it was pretty alarming.  I'm planning visits to both campuses here in the next month to help me decide.  Do you agree with Byronic that Utah seems to be slipping in the rankings?

GMULAW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 03:04:29 PM »
I agree with Byronic.  I was surprised to see them slipping, but once I got there I knew why.  The students are also very aware of it.  As soon as they found out I went to GMU they got really annoyed and started telling me how they are a better school than GMU and the rankings are wrongs.  I personally don't care much for ranking, but they made such a deal over it.  I would stick with a solid school with a national reputation, considering the state of the economy in Utah, you will probably want to work out of state.
I will choose a path that's free, I will choose free will

long ago

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 04:12:42 PM »
I would probably consider what you wanted to do.  If you want to leave Utah go to BYU if you want to work in private practice in Utah.  From what I hear BYU gives you advantages, but it still isnt' easy you have to be near the top of your class to get the really good jobs.  If you want to work in the government in Utah I hear the U is the way to go.  I love BYU, but I am extremely biased as I am in a computer lab in the basement of the swkt on campus right now.  I am actually considering BYU even thoguh I have been accepted to schools with significantly higher rankings and I will hopefully get accepted to even better schools.  The thought of getting through with such a small amount of debt (hopefully none in my case) is very appealing.

Larry Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 05:09:40 PM »
Point well taken, Jareds3.  I think a lot depends on what you'd like to do and where you'd like to do it.  I've heard that BYU has some of the most competitive students in the nation.  I'm guessing you could be one of them.  A 176 on the LSAT and you're leaning towards the Y.  This leaves me a little nervous as to how I would fare.  Thanks for the input and good luck with your top 10 applications.