Law School Discussion

$ Scholarships, Money, Financial Aid at Washington DC Schools - Merit and other

Congrats on the Temple $$. Philly can be a fun place for school. Good luck with UPENN!
You hear anything from Catholic reg. $$?

Thanks Elvis!  Nothing from Catholic yet, but Monkey said Catholic $$ will only come out in March.

I just completed the PROFILE today (I did the FAFSA in January) and am sending my 2004 tax returns and credit report to GW this week. Does sending all this stuff so late mean I have little chance of need based aid? I didn't think I would get in to GW, so I didn't do the PROFILE stuff until I heard I was accepted. Of all the schools I applied to, GW is the only one that requires something other than the FAFSA in order for aid consideration. Did I make a big mistake by waiting this long?

Angmill08: The deadline for GW is I believe March 1st, so I think you are ok.  I was accepted back in Jan. and I still haven't complete the PROFILE (although I'm hoping to finish it tonight).  From my experience with GW Undergrad (granted it may be different for LS) is that as long as you file before the deadline you are ok.  I have always had all of my documents in on pretty much the last day and still received Need-Based assistance (and not just loans, Alumni awards too).  Good luck, Finacial Aid sucks!

I also haven't filled out my PROFILE --- so I suppose we can't be the only three :)

Elvis

I also haven't filled out my PROFILE --- so I suppose we can't be the only three :)

Make that 4.  :)
Just did Fafsa last night.  EFC is not good.  not good at all. 

You hear anything from Catholic reg. $$?

See my post above.

Thanks Monkey.  Hope they show us all a little love.

This is actually a pretty interesting thread. I am currently living in DC and have applied to a bunch of schools in DC and then on South, with a focus in Texas. That said, with the SO and what have you, there would be something delightfully easy about the transition--staying here. Many of you are probably getting money from schools elsewhere--I'm getting some from Tulane, and if my luck's not good and it comes down to paying, say, full at AU vs. not much at Tulane, well...From what I do know, however, so many people want to come to DC for law school that the school's are very stingy with merit-based aid--you'd probably have to be well over the 75% at most to qualify--there're no shortage of viable candidates who'll attend every school around here. Catholic may be an exception....

That's a good point RobinHood. 

Also, I just submitted my PROFILE last night.  In my opinion it's a lot easier than the stupid Need Access form that some schools require.  I just used all of my info from last year's taxes and checked the box that said that everything was based on estimates (cause my parents don't do their taxes for another month or so).

Elvis

From what I do know, however, so many people want to come to DC for law school that the school's are very stingy with merit-based aid

I agree.  But on the other side UMD and GMU are ranked higher than AMU and Catholic, so I would expect the latter two would have to provide some merit based $$ to attract in-state MD/VA residents to these schools, no? 

Have you all applying to GW mailed your credit report to them yet? I'm getting a copy of it, but probably won't have it by March 1st unless I take drastic measures. Do you think it would be a bad idea to Fed Ex my other documentation (tax returns) tomorrow with an explaination that the credit report is coming? Or would doing this be screwing myself over in terms of aid? I doubt I'd get any merit aid offers, but I think I qualify for need-based.

I got my $$$ from CUA last year in mid to late March, but their adcom staff has completely turned over, which makes me sad b/c last year's staff liked me, so I hope I have as good luck with this years' adcomms.

Elvis

Got a letter from Mason over the weekend.  Thought it was $$$, but just more info.  Doh!