Law School Discussion

$ Scholarships, Money, Financial Aid at Washington DC Schools - Merit and other

Elvis

Have searched, but haven't seen a summary of this for all DC schools (GULC, GW, GMU, American, Catholic, UMD):

Who has received merit or need based scholarships/financial aid from (any) DC law schools, and more importantly, how have they been notified (with acceptance letter/package or separately at a later date)?  Was financial aid info in already? 

I haven't seen anything in my GW or Catholoic acceptance packages (yes, I assume this means I didn't get any), but noticed GMU decides later:  "The School of Law and not the Office of Student Financial Aid, makes scholarship and fellowship awwards.  We begin making merit-based awards in late February."

mreleph

• Say hello at GWU preview day.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mrowrman
    • View Profile
    • Musings
GWU has been sending scholarship offers 2-4 weeks trailing admissions offers.
Your GMU info seems about right.

Elvis

Thanks - thought GW was with acceptance package, but I must have read a post wrong.  So it would seem that in most cases awards for merit based scholarships are received post-acceptance and not with accpentance package.

Monkey

• View Profile
From an e-mail from Catholic's Admissions Director:

To assist you with your inquiry, please note that we will begin considering admitted students for merit-based scholarships within the next month or so.  Notifications/Awards will likely go out in March to qualifying students.  

Elvis

Anyone have info/experience regarding UMaryland?

From an e-mail from Catholic's Admissions Director:

To assist you with your inquiry, please note that we will begin considering admitted students for merit-based scholarships within the next month or so.  Notifications/Awards will likely go out in March to qualifying students. 

Good to know, thanks for the info.

Also, I heard GW sends out Merit about 2 weeks after the acceptance.  I didn't get anything, but I might call to tell them about my scholarship at Temple.  I heard that doing that won't help though because it's Gw's experience that people will go there over a lower school anyways w/o aid...oh what a dilemma!

Elvis

Also, I heard GW sends out Merit about 2 weeks after the acceptance.  I didn't get anything, but I might call to tell them about my scholarship at Temple.  I heard that doing that won't help though because it's Gw's experience that people will go there over a lower school anyways w/o aid...oh what a dilemma!

Congrats on the Temple $$.  Philly can be a fun place for school.  Good luck with UPENN!
You hear anything from Catholic reg. $$?

Peon

GULC gives out mostly need-based money and very little merit based.  When I was there they said somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the class usually gets "significant" need based help.

Monkey

• View Profile
You hear anything from Catholic reg. $$?

See my post above.

I just completed the PROFILE today (I did the FAFSA in January) and am sending my 2004 tax returns and credit report to GW this week. Does sending all this stuff so late mean I have little chance of need based aid? I didn't think I would get in to GW, so I didn't do the PROFILE stuff until I heard I was accepted. Of all the schools I applied to, GW is the only one that requires something other than the FAFSA in order for aid consideration. Did I make a big mistake by waiting this long?