Law School Discussion

Wait Listed at Stetson?!?

ACore

• View Profile
    • Email
Wait Listed at Stetson?!?
« on: February 22, 2005, 05:37:27 AM »
Well I received a letter from Stetson with a "please place on wait list" request. I thought I was a shoe in for that school with a 3.25 and 159. Oh well, I guess I'll have to add that to the growing list of Florida Law Schools that have me on their waitlists.

Re: Wait Listed at Stetson?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 05:40:49 AM »
I would hang on for a little while.  Once the financial aid offers start rolling in, I think a lot of people will withdraw from there because of the crappy aid package. 

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 05:48:00 AM »
i thought you would be too, from what I have heard around here (I live near it )...wtf w/ stetson

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 09:14:18 AM »
Well I received a letter from Stetson with a "please place on wait list" request. I thought I was a shoe in for that school with a 3.25 and 159. Oh well, I guess I'll have to add that to the growing list of Florida Law Schools that have me on their waitlists.

What Other Schools in FL are waitlisted at?

JackInTheBox

• Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 09:45:13 AM »
Thats ridiculous.  Your numbers are great.  Stetson is not all that great.  For them to waitlist you...wow.  If I were you, I'd withdraw my application just to spite them.  Well, maybe they don't care...but its the principal of the thing.  With those numbers, you should have no trouble getting into better schools.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 09:53:16 AM »
completely ridiculous...people at my UG talk about Stetson like they take everyone!  Which isn't true but with your numbers....stupid

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 10:17:26 AM »
Stetson is being really flaky this cycle.  I got waitlisted, too.  I have a 2.67 (kinda crappy I know, but I wrote an addendum explaining how my grades dropped when my father got sick and subsequently passed away while I was in undergrad - prior to that I made National Dean's List) and a 163 LSAT, I was an LSAT instructor for a leading test prep company as well as part of their GMAT curriculum team for several years, I spent a semester interning in NYC, Habitat for Humanity volunteer, Student Legal Services volunteer, I work in equities at a large brokerage firm, etc.

Stetson is playing the numbers game - and poorly.  I mean, if you look at lawschoolnumbers.com you can see that they've been admitting a lot of students who got into Florida schools like UF, Miami, and FSU, and for those ppl, Stetson is a safety school (especially considering Stetson's steep tuition). 

So, in my opinion, I feel like Stetson is trying to up their ranking by waitlisting applicants that are historically typical of their incoming classes in favor of students who, quite frankly, are way above their average matriculant.

So my point is, if you got waitlisted and really want to go there, I'd wait until Stetson starts getting dinged by their accepted applicants who would rather go to UF or FSU and pay way less money for a higher-ranked school. 

I, personally, think U.S. News and World reports is the devil and am greatly dissapointed in Stetson for playing solely by the index numbers...

ACore

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 01:01:55 PM »

What Other Schools in FL are waitlisted at?

So far I am waitlisted at UM & FSU. I want to practice in the Miami area, but wouldn't mind Tampa since I have family there. I suppose that Stetson is probably waitlisting people because they received alot of applicants with higher scores than mine.
On the other hand, I do agree that when those applicants start turning down Stetson and start to matriculate to other schools, I'll probably get my acceptance letter. It just is inconvenient not knowing where I will be in 6 months

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 01:37:26 PM »

[So far I am waitlisted at UM & FSU.

Are you waitlisted or in Hold category at FSU?

ACore

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 05:33:14 AM »

Are you waitlisted or in Hold category at FSU?

I guess technically its a hold category. They sent a letter saying that they are not making a decision on my application yet. Sorry, I have a tendency of using "wait list" and "hold" interchangebly.