Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hilarious  (Read 4264 times)

HKrustofsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hilarious
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 11:00:50 PM »
:o Whoa!  I totally missed this bit of drama on my vacation from LSD.  Ladies, is it that serious?  ALL women, regardless of race, class, or background deserve respect -- from themselves and from others.  Sadly, most conflicts between women can be attributed to hidden insecurities and overt competition, but we can all take strides to change that fact.  I don't know the root of your conflict, but it seems to me that there's little sense in getting so worked up over something that is said on an internet message board to throw around physical threads and belligerent comments.  C'mon, you're future attorneys -- have some class.

Seu - you have not been on this board long enough for the regulars to get a real sense of your personality and your intentions, thus whatever comments you may make about black women may be scrutinized more so than they are when more established non-black posters make them.  You may not have intended to be demeaning -- and I suspect that since you date a black man you did not -- but you have to realize that all people have to go on with regard to making judgments about you here is what you type.  It's a limited view and it can be unfair, but it is an inherent limitation of internet discussions.  I am not saying you were right or wrong, as I do not wish to take sides in this discussion, but I would urge you to be more mindful about your phrasing and your "tone."

Regal - I have said this on countless occasions -- you have accomplished a great deal and you should not hesitate to take pride in those accomplishments.  However, I think your "tone" can be misleading with regard to what you may be seeking to communicate.  You and I are cool, but quite honestly, even I was somewhat put off by your post-Boalt rejection threads/comments/attitude.  Yes you have great numbers, and you may well have a "good story," but you have to keep in mind that you are entering a professional arena, where people will evaluate you both on your credentials and the attitude you exude.  There are objective and subjective factors involved in the admissions process and while your objective factors are strong, something about your application must have not sat well with the ad com at Boalt.  That doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with you, OR the school for that matter.  No one is owed an acceptance to law school, even if they have a 180/4.0, because it takes more than smarts to be a successful law student and practitioner.  Each school looks for certain factors, tries to fill certain molds.  So you didn’t fit the Berkeley mold – move on, you obviously have other choices.  It seems impractical and pointless to continue to vent about something that will obviously have no bearing on your decision as to what school you will attend, which leads me to believe this is an issue that touches your vanity more than anything else.  I think you were insensitive to say the least to imply that you feel yourself more deserving of admission than people with lower numbers for two reasons.  One – two people on this board were admitted to the school in question with such numbers – are you saying you are better?  And two, you don’t know anything about those who were admitted with lower numbers and are in no position to make value judgments about them.  I remain proud of everything you have accomplished and I sincerely hope that you reach the top – Yale, that is – and the above rant is nothing more than an FYI.  You're stong willed and intelligent -- now put those qualities to good use and make all of us proud! :-* ;D

Damn...you should go into mediation (seriously).

Regal_Muse

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 11:40:23 PM »
\

Understood lil_token. However, I'm not apologizing for my comments towards Seu. The only reason she apologized to the General BLSD (everyone but me) is b/c she still wants cool points and participate on the board without being ostracized and to save face.  Deep down she really doesn't give a two sh*ts about black women. All this women of color campaign going on the boards is BS.  Anywhodiddle

As for Boalt, perhaps it was an issue of vanity, but I still felt upset over the rejection b/c I never expected it. At least I'm honest about my feelings instead of faking the funk. I'm over the situation though. Everything happens for a reason I suppose.

lil_token

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 12:21:54 AM »
\

Understood lil_token. However, I'm not apologizing for my comments towards Seu. The only reason she apologized to the General BLSD (everyone but me) is b/c she still wants cool points and participate on the board without being ostracized and to save face.  Deep down she really doesn't give a two sh*ts about black women. All this women of color campaign going on the boards is BS.  Anywhodiddle

As for Boalt, perhaps it was an issue of vanity, but I still felt upset over the rejection b/c I never expected it. At least I'm honest about my feelings instead of faking the funk. I'm over the situation though. Everything happens for a reason I suppose.

If someone attacks you, be the better and more mature woman and resist stooping to their level.  You can't fight ignorance with more ignorance.  Anytime I feel offended by comments people make about my racial/cultural identitiy, I try to remain respectful and explain to them what it is about their comments that bothers me.  Nine times out of ten, the light bulb goes on and they understand why something they said was hurtful, offensive or unacceptable.  It takes patience not to fly off the handle, but I think the end result is more than worth it.  If seu had it in her mind that black women are unnecessarily confrontational, why fuel the fire by the embodiment of that stereotype?  Besides, seu obviously didn't see your intention to teach her by giving her a dose of her own medicine, so to speak, so perhaps it would be worthwhile to try another way.  Just a thought.  Keep your head up.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 08:38:08 AM »

Why do you guys assume that b/c I'm confident that I'm either narcissistic or insecure? What reasons would I have to be insecure?

There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance.  Whatever your actual tone or meaning, which is often hard to communicate online, the content of your posts lend a lot of evidence to the fact that you've crossed that line at some point.  This may not be your intention, or it could be something you just haven't become aware of yet.  Or, it could be something that you haven't really faced yet.  Pride/arrogance is one of the most difficult human faults to overcome, and the reality of facing it is hard and painful.

You are absolutely right that you have a lot to be proud of, and your accomplishments are definitely something to call home about.  But when you cross the line from confidence to arrogance, that's all people can see.  They lose sight of your achievements, and can only respond to the attitude.  It's a great disservice to the person you really are, and puts a lot of people off.

[This is not in reference to whatever argument is going on here between seu and RM...I didn't read it, I don't know what's going on...it's just my general opinion on the "confidence" issue.  Whatever happened though, I do have to say that I think lil_token is probably one of the most intelligent posters I've seen on lsd. In the three posts I've read of his on this thread, demonstrates a great amount of patience and wisdom]

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 12:35:38 PM »
There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance.  Whatever your actual tone or meaning, which is often hard to communicate online, the content of your posts lend a lot of evidence to the fact that you've crossed that line at some point.  This may not be your intention, or it could be something you just haven't become aware of yet.  Or, it could be something that you haven't really faced yet.  Pride/arrogance is one of the most difficult human faults to overcome, and the reality of facing it is hard and painful.

You are absolutely right that you have a lot to be proud of, and your accomplishments are definitely something to call home about.  But when you cross the line from confidence to arrogance, that's all people can see.  They lose sight of your achievements, and can only respond to the attitude.  It's a great disservice to the person you really are, and puts a lot of people off.

if you value advice RM take this.  she has far more patience than i do.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 01:42:35 PM »
Jacy, I totally understand where you are coming from. I appreciate constructive criticism you are offering and I'll take your advice under consideration. If people had such an issue with how I was coming across, my PMs are open. Unfortunately the vase majority preferred to gossip behind my back and expect me to take their advice when they don't have the guts to say to me directly. That's hard for me to respect them as a person. Regardless, I am who I am. I never thought that people take what is said or done on the internet. Majority of the time, I take everything said here with a grain of salt you know? Unless certain comments are blatantly disrespectful, I really don't pay much attention to them.