Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tutoring v. Classroom  (Read 222 times)

Burhop

• Sr. Citizen
  • Editor girl @ Northwestern University
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
Tutoring v. Classroom
« on: February 22, 2005, 12:12:47 AM »
I've been doing lots of LSAT self-study, and I really want to take the LSAT only once (June), so I'm thinking of hiring a PowerScore tutor for 10 hours. The classroom gives more hours, but doesn't work well with my schedule.

Does anyone have any one-on-one tutor experiences? Any tips as to maximizing time spent? I imagine I'll want to focus on games--that's the only section I'm not consistently finishing in under 35.

Also, please let me know if there is a better tutoring option...

Best,

Dani
Lit Journal Editor, Grants Administrator, Poet, Girl about town
www.northwestessay.com

Emolee

• Sr. Citizen
  • I believe there is a distance I have wandered
    • View Profile
Re: Tutoring v. Classroom
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 12:18:24 AM »
for high scorers (165+) I recommend tutoring because you can have a more targeted learning experience at a higher level... no need to waste time on things you already understand & you can visit specific issues that may not be discussed in class

for average to low scorers, I recommend classroom (unless $ is no object) as you get a lot more hours for the same price... you can also learn from others in the class
wrestling over tiny matters: UCLA vs. Columbia

LSAT 173!  Thank you, God!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=emolee

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tutoring v. Classroom
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 03:34:50 PM »
I used a personal tutor that I mainly worked with online.  I found it to be pretty  effective for me, as well as relatively affordable. 

I would probably recommend tutoring generally over courses, especially if you want to do most of the prep on your own (self-study). 

The good thing about my tutor was that I didn't have to sign up for a block of sessions, like with Kaplan/PR, so I only went to him when I really needed help.  I only ended up spending about $300 total.