Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it possible/advisable to send an addendum after file is "complete"?  (Read 435 times)

edalb007

• View Profile
I've applied to about 18 schools and am complete at most. I have decisions from 4 or so, and expect more soon. I was wait-listed at Seattle and in the wait-list letter they requested more information, such as an addendum or letter of recommendation. I secured both, however, my letter I wrote I feel is particularly powerful. Much more so than my original PS, so much that I wish I had this as my PS instead of just being an addendum.

My question is, can I send the letter to other schools without them having requested it? Will it seem desperate? The letter is more or less a personal statement, only provides a lot more information about why I'm a good law-school candidate. I really believe this letter could turn the tide at some schools where I'm on the edge, IF and ONLY if it's not viewed in a potentially negative "desperate" light.

Any ideas? =/

Jennaye

Re: Is it possible/advisable to send an addendum after file is "complete"?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 12:02:19 AM »
I had thought about doing the same thing -- I had many afterthoughs of addendums I should have written and LORs that I should have sent.  I decided against it.  Not sure why, just seems like it would be in bad form and would only leave a bad taste in the adcomm's mouths. 

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 12:05:14 AM »
If you're adding new information, I don't see why you shouldn't. For example, getting a promotion at the law firm you work for is a big deal, and then you could throw in the other stuff while you're at it. But I wouldn't just send it if there's nothing that has changed since you initially sent in your app.

edalb007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 12:09:28 AM »
If you're adding new information, I don't see why you shouldn't. For example, getting a promotion at the law firm you work for is a big deal, and then you could throw in the other stuff while you're at it. But I wouldn't just send it if there's nothing that has changed since you initially sent in your app.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Unfortunately, nothing has changed in my life, I just sat down and wrote an amazing addendum for Seattle and thought "Hey, I could use this at other schools..." Guess this is looking more and more like a 'No'. Damn. If only I had thought of this stuff before I sent everything out. If only I didn't have any "If only"s

Jennaye

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 12:19:43 AM »
If only I didn't have any "If only"s

There will always be "If onlys."  Luckily most every other applicant has a couple "if onlys" so it evens out the playing field.

KappaOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 02:50:16 PM »
I say go for it.  It's not going to hurt your case to send the addendum.  Most Adm Comm will look at it and see that you are really want to get in.  If you don't send it, you'll live the rest of your life (that may be a bit of an overstatement) wondering how things would have panned out if you had only went with your gut feeling.

Think about it this way, "What are you losing by at least trying????"

edalb007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »
I say go for it.  It's not going to hurt your case to send the addendum.  Most Adm Comm will look at it and see that you are really want to get in.  If you don't send it, you'll live the rest of your life (that may be a bit of an overstatement) wondering how things would have panned out if you had only went with your gut feeling.

Think about it this way, "What are you losing by at least trying????"

More good points. I think I'm gonna take a chance and send them out.