5 (15.6%)
6-yrs younger
 1 (3.1%)
all of the above
 6 (18.8%)
i'd rather date someone my own age
 8 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: The Black Women's Thread  (Read 198004 times)

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Women's Thread
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2005, 12:27:08 PM »
Victor:

Your post was probably not meant for me, but as the only other non-black female poster here, I feel compelled to respond. As a member of "another race," yes, I do feel like I can talk about black issues. And brown issues. And white issues. Because we're living in a society where ALL of these issues are interacting every single freaking day, whether in front of our faces or in the back of an alley somewhere. Simply as a member of society, simply as a member of several minority groups -- female, hispanic -- I DO feel the need to be curious about the black issues. I DO feel the need to question. And to respond. And to otherwise converse about black issues. Alot of people will bring up their experience with the black community in order to "justify" or ground their opinions ... but hey, give some credit to Seu for, unlike many in society, putting her money where her mouth is by wholeheartedly giving up her heart to a member of the black race.

That said, I hate to see this thread go down the tubes. We women of color need to stick together, join in our differences and embrace our heterogenity without feeling like it threatens our cultural authenticity. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I feel sick to my stomach seeing all this racism and catfighting IN A THREAD DEVOTED TO WOMEN OF COLOR!!  :'(

Mari, I just wanted to say that this is a great post, and it makes a whole world of sense. I wish more people thought this way so that that we can more easily break down the barricades that blocks the communication that we need. Thanks   :)

And I almost renamed this thread b/c of this post but it kept coming out awkward. But I just want to reiterate that women of all colors or non-color are welcomed to post here, as well as men

maricutie

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2005, 12:31:20 PM »
Thanks, Ladyday. In light of yesterday's bitter melee on this thread, that makes me feel welcome .. :)

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2005, 12:58:19 PM »
Thanks, Ladyday. In light of yesterday's bitter melee on this thread, that makes me feel welcome .. :)

Of course your welcolmed, no issues in here  :)

Dammit, I'm trying to catch up.

OK, if you look like a hairy beast RBG I say wax that *&^%. I can't stand hairy ass chests or backs  :P If there's a little hair it's all good, better than looking like a little boy, but if you look like a wooly mammoth, I volunteer to personally come over and take care of that for ya.

Top 5 MJ videos in no particular order:

1. Thriller
2. Remember the times (I LOVE Eddie in that yo)
3. Billie Jean
4. Keep it in the Closet
5. Scream (w/ his lil sis)

I'm dark-skinned and scar from EVERYTHING it's such a pain, especially since I'm such a klutz. 100% Pure Shea Butter (particularly from Carol's Daughter so you KNOW it's pure) works wonders for my body. I use skin ceutical, esthederm, and yonka products for my face.

Microdermabrasion can be really expensive. I've only had one treatment though ($110) and I saw results, but it's a process that you need several treatments for the best results. And if you have sensitive skin (like mine) it can be really painful.
I use a at-home product right now called Esthederm, it costs about $40 per 2 oz jar. It's really good. But I haven't been using it faithfully as it requires a little time but during you can see the dead skin rolling off of your face and afterwards your face feels so soft and smooth like a baby's behind.

WAX WAX WAX WAX I will never shave certain areas ever again.

Laser hair removal. Oh boy. They have come out with a laser that supposed to treat black skin (even darker ladies) but the problem is that so many of these salons are still paying for the thousands of dollars machines they already have so they're not getting this other one anytime soon. Plus the machines in Canada, I called the actual company last year and they said they wouldn't be releasing it until this year. I wish they would hurry the @#!* up. My mom is a few shades lighter than me and she did the laser hair removal anyway, it did cause some burns but her skin is so lovely so no scarring. But I know if I did it I would definetely scar. But so far, my mom has had like 3 treatments and the hair is not growing back.

VOTE OR DIE

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2005, 01:05:42 PM »
Awwwe, It's good to see that the war is over between the black and brown women on this board. Perhaps you guys will kiss and makeup now. That would be nice to watch  :P   

seu2002

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2005, 01:29:47 PM »
Ok, I'm going to try to word this as unoffensively as possible, since I am sure a lot of you are waiting for me to say something to strangle me.

I don't see my SO as a trophy.  I've said this plenty of times.  I've always respected the AfAm culture, since I was a child, which is a lot more than I can say about some of the others' views on cultures outside of their own.  I have never used the N word, nor have I ever uttered some sort of racial slur.  I have always been sympathetic of minorities-- all minorities, and a slight to one of them was definitely a slight in my direction.  No, Black people and Mexicans are not the same person, but we're lumped into the same class in this country, and because of this, I feel that I not only need to stand up for myself but for others who have been discriminated against simply for the color of their skin.  I'm going to law school bc I want to help all minorities and everyone else, regardless of race, who would otherwise not have a voice or many options in this country.

Go back and read the posts on the BLSD, and you will see that I've had people calling me out for being a Mexican, saying that they would call immigration, saying I should go back to Mexico, saying I should go back across the river, saying that immigration laws should be more stringent to keep people like me out of the country, etc.  I did not respond to those comments.  And rather than anyone saying anything bc I was being singled out and the butt of racist jokes, NO ONE said anything.  The most I got was one of these:   :o  or someone apologizing to me, but never did anyone try to nip those remarks in the bud.

I understand.  Everyone on this board is NOT responsible for the one offensive voice.

I have all ready apologized for INADVERTENTLY offending anyone on this board.  What irks me the most about the internet situation is that some of you carry some short and faulty perceptual screens to filter the world through.  You're LOOKING for the racism.  Many times I didn't say anything wrong, and some of you had a problem with it.  You did not hear my tone or the intent of my words.  All you read was what was on your screen, and bc of it, you interpreted it your way and either took offense to it, of played it off as a silly remark.  Let me assure you that if anything, the remarks I've made on this particular thread, except for my take on interracial relationships, have been in jest.

But yeah, Ladyday, who's been super cool with me, told me that I should not apologize for posting.  And I realized that she's right.  I've done nothing to hurt anyone, and if anyone took offense to whatever I said, that's because you perceived it as such.  BTW, Victor, I reposted that answer to your question that you took such offense to in that other board.

Anyway, yesterday I was attacked and called all sorts of racist names.  The Latino stereotypes were magnified and used to try to bring me down.  I'm sure you all have seen that tasteless avatar that was posted as well.  I didn't see anyone but Mari, the only other Latino on this board, coming to my rescue, but as soon as I made one comment in self-defense, I'm the racist b!tch who sees her man as a trophy, who can't appreciate the Black culture, and as speculated, who probably goes around using the N word.  Hardly accurate. 

I'm not calling any of your hypocrites per se, but I do see the hypocrisy.  One statement, that in my opinion was hardly racist... maybe the wording made it a broad generalization, but those of you, you know who you are, that I've conversed with, know that a racist I am not, that respect the Black culture I do, and that I'm here because I want to learn more about your ideals and your perspectives on the messed up ideologies this country's about.

I grew up in a place where Black people don't live.  I went to an all-White private Catholic university where the only Black people who were there were the basketball players on scholarship-- yes, there were about 10 AfAms at my university.  My first real encounter with your culture has been through my SO, and I really respect him and value him, and I love that he brings all those experiences and that perspective to our relationship.  I'm trying to learn here, and if I'm offending someone, I do apologize.

But really, turn it around.  If I would have posted the same garbage-- the remarks, the avatar-- about Black people that was posted about Mexicans, I'm sure it would have been hell.  It's a shame that I'm the one being accused of being a racist here.

Either way, I really appreciate some of you ladies' PMs, your understanding, your patience, and your diplomacy.  And again, I apologize if any of my posts have made you uncomfortable.

Respect.

A.J

« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2005, 01:31:43 PM »
Where is "normal sized penis, middle class and solid @#!*"?

Vote for me!  ;D

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2005, 01:37:23 PM »
Where is "normal sized penis, middle class and solid @#!*"?

Vote for me!  ;D

:D NO! For the purpose of my experiement/curiosity You're not an option!

Like I said: VOTE OR DIE BITCHES 

A.J

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2005, 01:38:55 PM »
ahhh  :-\ 

oh well, back to the old penis pump and man-size pills.  :-X

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2005, 01:40:38 PM »
What the f....? Little male private part is winning?

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2005, 01:53:23 PM »
Seu-

I want to tell you that I'm sorry. I usually try not to jump into people's situations 'cause I figure we can all hold our own nut sacks.

But you are absolutely correct, in the midst of all the bickering you were continually berated and disrespected for your ethnicity which was absolutely disgusting. That was something that I did notice. And if another member of the BLSDB were to be called a "black" female dog or ghetto or other racist and derogatory slur by someone else, especially a white member, I would have chewed their ass into bits. Even though I can't control other people's actions or comments, however, as being people of color and brothers and sisters, that type of behavior should have not been tolerated. It was the equivalence of a black person being called a n-word on here. And even in the case that I didn't particularly care for a certain black member, if someone came at them like that I would have flipped the @#!* out. You deserved the same type of respect.

What happened was gross, uncalled for, and immature. And I can't take what was said back. I just hope that you don't take it as a representative of how all black people think or feel towards Mexicans. And once again I apologize for condoning the behavior with silence.

You are welcome here, and in this thread. That's why it was created. For support, not abuse.