5 (15.6%)
6-yrs younger
 1 (3.1%)
all of the above
 6 (18.8%)
i'd rather date someone my own age
 8 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: The Black Women's Thread  (Read 194825 times)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Women's Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2005, 02:49:10 AM »
blessed back to u...

and thank u..

u are going to take a big sail...and rise, and eb, and shine...peace.

check this book out...it is called "global rift"  l.s. stavrianos, global rift: "The Third World Comes of Age"...that is part of my reading material for black history month...check it out...!!!

also, aye keep re-reading "the women" of the quo aran...and some verses that are interesting...

and a partial book from corinthians by a man named paul, about "love"....and some verses from that...otherwise aye am a little distraught...but have to keep working the "think tank"...so see you later..and keep watching the headlines and the news and the pope.

px.o.rsta
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2005, 11:12:13 AM »
 ::)Hmmm...waxing vs. shaving let's talk about that.  I usually shave or use a dipilatory (sp) cream. 

Has anyone been to a spa (or go regularly) to get waxed?  What are the benefits?  Know of any good home waxing systems?

For the ethnic ladies, especially those with darker skin, do you have trouble with scarring?

The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2005, 11:14:15 AM »
Should men shave their chests ladies?
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2005, 11:16:28 AM »
Should men shave their chests ladies?

Although taco meat ala Miami Vice is disgusting, I'd prefer it over a metrosexual.  So the answer is no.

shiveringjenny

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2005, 11:37:34 AM »
::)Hmmm...waxing vs. shaving let's talk about that. I usually shave or use a dipilatory (sp) cream.

Has anyone been to a spa (or go regularly) to get waxed? What are the benefits? Know of any good home waxing systems?

For the ethnic ladies, especially those with darker skin, do you have trouble with scarring?

i have trouble with scarring. i think that it is worse for fairer skinned ethnic types because the scars are much more noticeable. i have a bunch of stupid spots on my face, but i am currently getting them faded with a series of microdermabrasions/facial peels.
it's pretty f-ing lame, though.

and unless they are some kind of swimming all-stars, i don't think guys should shave their body hair.

seu2002

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2005, 11:43:10 AM »
::)Hmmm...waxing vs. shaving let's talk about that. I usually shave or use a dipilatory (sp) cream.

Has anyone been to a spa (or go regularly) to get waxed? What are the benefits? Know of any good home waxing systems?

i have trouble with scarring. i think that it is worse for fairer skinned ethnic types because the scars are much more noticeable. i have a bunch of stupid spots on my face, but i am currently getting them faded with a series of microdermabrasions/facial peels.

and unless they are some kind of swimming all-stars, i don't think guys should shave their body hair.

i have issues with scarring too.  anywhere on my body.  i have really sensitive skin, so i'm really careful not to get any bites or blemishes or cuts.  i bruise really easily too, and it usually takes about 3 months for it to go away completely.  it's such a pain.

how expensive are those derm abrasions?  and didn't you say you did the laser hair removal?  i'm really considering that.  shaving is a pain, and walking around like a sasquatch for 2 weeks whilte the hair gets long enough to wax is unsightly and appalls me.

BTW-  good morning, ladies.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2005, 11:46:12 AM »
Man! I have the funniest story about that sh*t. When I was in Senegal I was getting my hair braided. So the bitches didn't know that one of my friends new French really well. So these bitches are talking about how they was going to overcharge me and sh*t. So when our "sister" who knew English left the room, my friend who knew French looked one of the chicks dead in her face and was like "You f-ing female dog, You Stank Ass f-ing female dog!" and kept saying it over and over. And the real funny part was the girl started smiling all stupidly 'cause she had no idea what she was saying.

LMAO! That is classic...too bad I can't do that to the ones in the states because they know enough English to get around.  Why is there such hostility between Africans and African Americans?

I think a lot of it has to do with the mis-perceptions and preconceived notions about each other. When my father first came to the US he literally thought the streets were paved in gold. He kept asking my mom where they were and she had to explain to him that it's only a myth. I must say I am only speaking from my own experience but the only images even I saw when abroad of African Americans, was from Rap videos and movies etc etc. Most of the people there thought that was the lifestyle I was coming from, therefore I was rich, and could just give anyone money, that's why those girls wanted to overcharge me (which they did but it wasn't worth arguing over) and that's why if they asked you for money and you said no, they would get really really angry. And don't you know, they also believe American girls are easy, they sure found out it wasn't Black american girls that were easy, this guy made a pass at my friend, she turned him down, but nicely, unlike I would have, That Ng called her a slave. Whew, she was about to whoop his ass and she's like 5'2. This is an African man calling and African American woman a slave! When I used to get my hair braided, I would see some of the women looking at me up and down all suspiciously, until I realized they were trying to figure out what the @#!* I am. So when I would tell them I was half African, I was no longer one of those "other" girls getting their hair done, I was "one of them" got treated nicer and didn't have to pay as much. It's crazy.

African/Black Americans views of Africans are any better. In some cases I can see why Africans are turned off by blacks as some of the views on this board have expressed the superiority attittude that BA have. The same way people of other cultures and races have towards BA, it's a damn shame. That's why that dude called my friend a slave, he in his own screwed up way was saying "female dog, you ain't better than me!" even though I swear SHE WAS NOT coming off that way at all. But a lot of blacks here view Africans in the same light that white americans do: some name like tuhuti fruiti, living in a hut, in the jungle. What kind of sense is that?

maricutie

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2005, 11:52:48 AM »
After many many years of shaving and dealing with nixs and cuts, I've become a devotee of waxing. I love it. Sure, the first couple times are tough, but soon after it really does start out growing slower and less thick. With shaving I used to get scratchy after a day, no joke ... but with waxing, you're completely smooth for at least a week. Well worth it, in my opinion.

For ladies who want to try it: it's not that hard to do it yourself at home. Much cheaper, too. You can get a little case of microwaveable wax for under $10 that'll let you do your legs twice over, while you'd be paying $40 easily at the salone for just one waxing.

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2005, 12:12:25 PM »

i have issues with scarring too.  anywhere on my body.  i have really sensitive skin, so i'm really careful not to get any bites or blemishes or cuts.  i bruise really easily too, and it usually takes about 3 months for it to go away completely.  it's such a pain.

how expensive are those derm abrasions?  and didn't you say you did the laser hair removal?  i'm really considering that.  shaving is a pain, and walking around like a sasquatch for 2 weeks whilte the hair gets long enough to wax is unsightly and appalls me.

BTW-  good morning, ladies.

Good morning seu.

About microdermadrasion, a new system has come out by Revlon.  It's about $20, and it is getting rave reviews.

I go to a dermatologist that specializes in ethnic skin care.  Although they have developed better lasers for black skin, there is still the potential for scarring.  I'm assuming you have fairer skin since you are Mexican, so it may not be as bad for you.  Unfortunately, my derm told me laser hair removal is not a long term solution, and you have to keep going back for treatments.  Plus, it's expensive for something that doesn't guarantee that your hair will never come back.  Let me know though if you try it.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2005, 12:17:10 PM »
Yo I dont like that Seu lady . . ..  she asked if dating a black man counts for anything for the purpose of the BLSD. I simply replied that she doesnt get rebate points for dating a black man. Why do other races feel they can talk about black issues because they date a black man . . . like they can talk on issues through proxy or something. Dating a black man doesnt give you some kind of authority. It's insulting to say that. We are not college course you can just put on your resume.

Vic, I'm sorry. You my boy and all but I can't discriminate  :-[ :-\ OK? Besides, you and Mobell didn't get along at first.

But to answer your question, yeah, that was one of my pet peeves about interracial dating. Especially when you're out with a group of friends and one of them is dating a white girl and you and the rest of your friends have to censor what the @#!* you would normally have said in order not to hurt her feelings or she try to get all up in the convo and don't know what the hell she's talking about and her man is all embarassed but out of respect for him everyone doesn't say nothing and changes the subject or whatever. (I've never really been in a situation where it's white man- black woman and he came out of pocket)

In Seu's case, I saw it as making a little joke. Not a good one, kinda like when white people tan then run up to you "I'm almost/as dark as you are Hahaha!" It's not meant offensively but they don't realize how innappropriate or annoying it is. She's apologized, and this is a good atmosphere for her to be in, she can see what is and is not tolerated or in good behavior. (Seu-if you are reading this, this is in no way meant to offend or talking about you like you are a child OK?)

However, I do see a lot of non-black women who date black men as trophies. Or as someone mentioned elsewhere only see them for their looks or "mythical" attributes and abilities. It's disgusting. Dating a black men does not give you a "life-time ghetto pass" and so on so forth. But.......believe it or not, after being on this board, I no longer have that feeling of hostility towards interracial couples like I used to. Doesn't mean I will ever support it though.

Mari's post made some good comments though about this and I will address that post specifically.