Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Patent Bar/ ABA Law School?  (Read 2509 times)

Lemon

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Patent Bar/ ABA Law School?
« on: January 28, 2003, 09:50:47 PM »
Hello,

I am a 31 year old EE grad thinking of going to Law school and become a Patent Attorney. I will be taking the patent bar exam soon and hopefully will clear it. So I will be a patent agent even before I go to Law school.

I am thinking of going to Law school in fall this year and will be hopefully done in 3-4 years. Now, do you think it is important I go to an ABA accredited school? I can go to one of those in-expensive California Bar schools and be qualified to practise Law in California and Federal courts but NOT anywhere else.... but I am patent attorney, so why should I care? I will be saving about $50k by not going to a ABA law school.

Please let me know if this makes sense.

L

Fahlberg

Re: Patent Bar/ ABA Law School?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 06:28:41 AM »
I am 42, an EE, a registered patent agent and headed for law school in August. I to considered an on-line unacredited law school in California. My advice is to look at what you want to do when you finish law school. Many corporations and IP lawfirms require you to have passed the bar in their state. Most states require you to have gone to an ABA acredited law school to take the bar. You limit your opportunities by going to a non-ABA acredited university. On the other hand if the only way you can attend law school is through an on-line program and you know what you want to do when you finish and it does not require you go to an ABA acredited school, that may be the best course of action for you. My employer is allowing me the flexibility to attend an ABA acredited law school and is helping with the costs.

Lemon

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Patent Bar/ ABA Law School?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 07:13:55 PM »
Thank you for replying to my question on Patent Bar and ABA Law School. I will go to an ABA school now; it makes sense.

I was wondering if you are practising Patent right now. I am writing the Patent Bar exam in April this year; can I start practising as soon as I pass that at a firm?

Also, will you be practising patent while you are going to Law School? Is your employer who is helping with Law School also a Law firm dealing with patens?

Thanks again.