Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First Duke Ding on LSN  (Read 2348 times)

avh00a

• View Profile
First Duke Ding on LSN
« on: February 21, 2005, 03:44:39 PM »
Just got the thin envelope today from Duke.  That wasn't a suprise, but what is a shock is that I checked LSN and I'm the first to report a ding from Duke.  I'm looking for any way to put a positive spin on this.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=avhen

lonahawk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: First Duke Ding on LSN
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 03:45:45 PM »
How are you getting mail delivery on President's Day?

burp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 04:25:52 PM »
Sigh...sorry to hear that.

Were you deferred from EA or were you part of regular decision to start out with?

lonahawk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 04:26:59 PM »
Shoot -- upon further reading I realized that my first post was a little bitchy - I'm super-sorry to hear the news.  That sucks :( :(
(I'm just anxious for the mail and uber-jealous of anyone who's getting anything!)

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 04:40:10 PM »
Just got the thin envelope today from Duke.  That wasn't a suprise, but what is a shock is that I checked LSN and I'm the first to report a ding from Duke.  I'm looking for any way to put a positive spin on this.

Sorry, I will be with you shortly.

I am also curious how you heard the news today (did you just get the envelope saterday)
(163+172)/3.5

avh00a

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 04:56:48 PM »
Shoot -- upon further reading I realized that my first post was a little bitchy - I'm super-sorry to hear the news.  That sucks :( :(
(I'm just anxious for the mail and uber-jealous of anyone who's getting anything!)

Don't worry about it.

My school's mail services goes to the downtown post office everyday that the school is open and picks up their own mail.  Even though the real mail isn't delivered today, I still get it at my box at school.  Don't worry though because I had been expecting this rejection for some time now.

king

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 09:02:42 PM »

I am sorry to hear this.  I think I will join you in the next 24-48 hours (170/3.1).  They should have sent the out rejections earlier.   

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 09:21:38 PM »

I am sorry to hear this.  I think I will join you in the next 24-48 hours (170/3.1).  They should have sent the out rejections earlier.   

ditto on that.

It seems there are a number of us Duke-fans that have been starring out the window the last six months...

I even went to Durham for an informal interview. That only makes it harder!
(163+172)/3.5

king

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 10:33:42 PM »
First I want to say congratulations on your WUSTL acceptance.  It is a top 20 acceptance which I would love to have.  Brooklyn is my only acceptance so far.  How did you arrange for a Duke interview?  Did you just show up?  Did you actually meet with Dennis Shields himself? 

ditto on that.

It seems there are a number of us Duke-fans that have been starring out the window the last six months...

I even went to Durham for an informal interview. That only makes it harder!

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 09:35:36 AM »
First I want to say congratulations on your WUSTL acceptance.  It is a top 20 acceptance which I would love to have.  Brooklyn is my only acceptance so far.  How did you arrange for a Duke interview?  Did you just show up?  Did you actually meet with Dennis Shields himself? 

Thanks for the congrats. Wash U is a great school and I have nothing but praise for it. That said, I am not sure its a fit for my career goals (at least not as much as a few other schools I have been losing sleep over).

The duke interview is an informal informational interview. It is really for your benefit (not so much for them to judge you. I read a quote by Dennis Shields in Monotak's book about the interview being able to "effect an applicants chances." You just call and say you are touring and wish to speak to an admin officer and they set it up. The interviwer answered my questions but asked me few, so I am skeptical they really are doing a hidden interview. Also, I haven't gotten the "CONGRATS" e-mail... but given my stats that isn't suprising.

It was not Shields whom I spokle with but a man's whose title is "Senior Admissions Officer."
(163+172)/3.5